[Mediawiki-l] Refresh links (categories only)

Rolf Lampa rolf.lampa at rilnet.com
Tue May 8 01:10:44 UTC 2007

Rob Church wrote:
> On 07/05/07, Rolf Lampa <rolf.lampa at rilnet.com> wrote:
>
>> ... categories won't "release" old category markup unless touching the
>> articles. ...
>>

> Links due to templates will, in all recent versions of MediaWiki, be
> updated as the job queue is executed. To run through all jobs, use the
> maintenance/runJobs.php script.

Hm. What I actually did was that I replaced a bunch of templates with
SQL ( UPDATE ... REPLACE ( 'a', 'b' ) ). Well, I should have said that.

> ... a brute-force link table update is needed; we don't
> know what pages link to categories, so we have to parse
> and check them all.

Ahh, yes, that makes sense (in my case the categories were located in
the templates which I removed).

Do you btw parse only in memory when doing the refreshLinks? Nothing to
win by dropping half done stuff (in the case when there's need only for
removing links, or categories? a "half update", or a "loss update
version", skipping any additions (if any). Well, I guess you can see
where I'm going.  The reason is of course that sometimes you make a
certain kind of change, globally, and then "dedicated" & optimized
updates can (?) make a huge difference. Perhaps. =)

Regards,

// Rolf Lampa