[Mediawiki-l] Public Reposting of this List

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue May 8 00:58:41 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, Michael Daly <mikedaly at magma.ca> wrote:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>
> > There is a difference, but not a very big one.
>
> I've never had an e-mail address collected from a mailing list.  I have
> had e-mail addresses collected from web sites.  E-mail spiders run all
> the time.  I'd say there's a _very_ big difference.
>
> On usenet, I can use a fake e-mail address.  On my web site, I can use
> hidden e-mail addresses.  On this mailing list, I don't have such an
> option - if  the e-mail address isn't real, I don't get postings.  I
> want the posting; I don't want the spam!

The email does have to be "real", but it is possible to post from one
address (set up not to receive any messages) and read the mailing list
using a different address.  You could even block email going to your
posting address, though this would be annoying if someone wanted to
respond privately to you.

Anthony