[Mediawiki-l] Refresh links (categories only)

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Mon May 7 21:24:17 UTC 2007

On 07/05/07, Rolf Lampa <rolf.lampa at rilnet.com> wrote:
> When doing "systematical" work with categories one would sometimes like
> to refresh the entire database after changes in templates etc. But, the
> categories won't "release" old category markup unless touching the
> articles. Now, updating ALL links flr several hundred thousand articles,
> or more, isn't always desired.

Links due to templates will, in all recent versions of MediaWiki, be
updated as the job queue is executed. To run through all jobs, use the
maintenance/runJobs.php script.

It's not possible to write a script which only updates the category
link tables and expect it to run any faster, because a brute-force
link table update is needed; we don't know what pages link to
categories, so we have to parse and check them all.

Rob Church