[Mediawiki-l] External mailserver setting

Alexis Moinet alexis.moinet at fpms.ac.be
Mon May 7 08:30:28 UTC 2007

Frederik Dohr a écrit :
>>> I need to configure MediaWiki to point to our corporate mail server.
>>> [snip]
>> I think this has to be done somewhere in php.ini (some smtp parameters)...
>
> I'm struggling with this issue as well.
> Unfortunately, I'm not very experienced when it comes to server administration (using Apache on Windows 2000), and my previous attempts at fiddling with the PHP.INI were rather unsuccessful.
> So I, too, would greatly appreciate some guidance on this...

on a WAMP local install, I did this in php.ini (BTW, be sure to use the good php.ini, the one that is used by apache, because sometime you may have several php.ini files. If you don't know where is php.ini use php function "phpinfo();" to get the path to
the good php.ini):

[mail function]
SMTP = smtp.server.com
smtp_port = 25 ;default value
sendmail_from = yourmail at server.com

where smtp.server.com is the name of your sending-mail server (the same one you're using in thunderbird or outlook)

for a LAMP, you only need to install sendmail and to define

sendmail_path = path/to/sendmail

Don't forget to restart your apache server after each modification to php.ini
Don't forget to enable mails in Localsettings.php :

$wgEnableEmail      = true;
$wgEnableUserEmail  = true;