[Mediawiki-l] Combating spam

Michael Daly mikedaly at magma.ca
Tue May 1 06:57:46 UTC 2007

Rob Church wrote:

> I'm throwing the URL out here both to gather feedback, and to make it
> known to the user base at large.

What about the use of "noindex" to prevent the indexing of old versions
of pages?  I read about this on (a somewhat out-of-date) chongqed.org
page, but I don't think I understand it fully.  There is also a
reference to using robots.txt to prevent this, but that's even less
clear (links on the page appear to be broken).

If we zap a page that's been spammed and the search engines still find
it, the spammers can find your wiki as one with old spam and will re-spam.

Apparently, they can use the "recent changes" pages too.  I find that
the search engines are frequently accessing recent changes, but I'm not
sure how to stop that.

Mike