[Mediawiki-l] Protecting part of a page (eg, to annotate a historical document)

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:59:20 UTC 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 9:22 PM, Rob Church wrote:

> On 05/01/07, Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can I do something like this directly? Using a plug-in? Indirectly?
>
> There is a "ProtectSection" extension in Subversion. Whether it still
> works, or whether it has flaws etc., I don't know.

I've been meaning to check this out since reading this thread a
couple of weeks ago.  I just tried it with 1.8.3.  It works, but the
UI is not optimal.  The edit links still show up on the protected
sections, and the edit box still comes up even if the section is
protected.  You get a Forbidden message when you try to save.  Seems
to me it would be better if the warning came up before the user tries
to edit and best if the section edit link went away on protected
sections.  But it works.  Any suggestions for how it might be
modified to do the better or best things?

Jim
Jim Hu
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics