[Mediawiki-l] cannot change LocalSettings.php

Jeff Lane jeffl at valvesoftware.com
Tue Jan 16 22:36:41 UTC 2007

Rob Church wrote:

> On 16/01/07, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
>> I usually use jEdit on Windows (requires Java), though others may have
>> other recommendations.
>
> I'm a Dreamweaver user. I do have DW set up to treat files as UTF-8
> with no BOM, but it still screws up now and again.

A second for Dreamweaver as a site management and editing tool. Recent
versions are excellent. Has some very nice search and replace features. Not
cheap, though.

If you're looking for a Notepad replacement for regular text editing, I use
UltraEdit as my default editor for .txt, .php, etc. Loads quite fast, but is
feature packed. Has explicit support for UTF-8 and can do conversions. They
recently added a well-integrated SFTP/FTP client and Telnet/SSH console,
which makes it great Mediawiki hacking. Not free, but I've used it for years
and it's paid for itself many times over. http://www.ultraedit.com