[Mediawiki-l] In Other Languages

Frederich, Eric P21322 eric.frederich at siemens.com
Fri Jan 12 22:02:13 UTC 2007

So you would suggest creating another namespace for the German language?
Is that how wikipedia does it?
I don't want to create a separate site or database.  I want to have the
same user base, same templates, same images and so on.
Would a namespace allow me to do that?

The other thing I have thought about was doing this...
+----+------------------------------------------+---+---+
| de | http://www.example.com/wiki/index.php/$1 | 1 | 0 |
| en | http://www.example.com/wiki/index.php/$1 | 1 | 0 |
+----+------------------------------------------+---+---+

That way English and German pages would exist in the same wiki without
and prefixes on the page names.
In the cases of shared acronyms between the two pages or words that are
the same in both languages we would have to add a _de suffix to the page
name.  In that case links within German pages would have to do stuff
like this [[Microsoft Word de|Microsoft Word]].
With a namespace I'm guessing they'd just have to do [[de:Microsoft
Word]]...is that correct?

Thanks,
~Eric