[Mediawiki-l] In Other Languages

Rolf Lampa rolf.lampa at rilnet.com
Fri Jan 12 21:51:20 UTC 2007

Frederich, Eric P21322 wrote:
> Well, I added these two entries in the database....
> +----+---------------------------------------------+---+---+
> | de | http://www.example.com/wiki/index.php/de_$1 | 1 | 0 |
> | en | http://www.example.com/wiki/index.php/$1    | 1 | 0 |
> +----+---------------------------------------------+---+---+
>
> Now I can have two versions of a page, one in English, and one in
> German.

You were earlier talking about defining a namespace for separate languages, and that's a good idea since the user can then *optionally* search in several languages simultaneously.

But you if you register the Namespace "De" ( to be used as "De:Title" )  it seems to conflict somehow with the interwiki parsing mechanism for the short [[de:Title]]. Mediawiki won't regard, for some reason, the normal interwiki syntax [[de:Title]] as an interwiki link if there's a namespace with the identical  language name/prefix (de:).

Well, that's what I found when I tried it anyway (I was also interested
in the same basic idea so I tried it out).

What I didn't understand in your interwiki definition was why there's a
white space after de (de_) ? (at least it will be interpreted as a white
space). I expected a namespace (De:). Ehe name "De" won't work as a Nms
though since it will cause some kind of conflict with the interwiki link

Any other Nms name would work though (although one would prefer De: if
course). To avoid conflict  between the Nms and the language code for
the interwiki link I'd use -de: or de-: as namespace names, although a
bit ugly looking.  The following works (I tested it):

| de | http://www.example.com/wiki/index.php/-de:$1 | 1 | 0 |

Regards,

// Rolf Lampa