[Mediawiki-l] [OT] Terminology: Wikis vs. WikiWikiWebs

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 00:24:18 UTC 2007

On 09/01/07, Rob Church <robchur at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > term will become generic. (Even if a lot of them will be MediaWiki
> > installations, whether or not it's gross overkill for ten users. But
> > MoinMoin, UseMod, Trac and the Microsoft thing are all used on
> > intranets quite a bit; MediaWiki hardly has a monopoly.)

> Yet.

I was thinking that, then I saw how wikis were actually being used.
MediaWiki is a lardarse - power of a tank and durability of a tank,
with handling of a tank and mileage of a tank - with silly
requirements compared to e.g. my home work intranet wiki, which has
ten users and is MoinMoin because that uses flat files rather than
MySQL. I wouldn't object to MediaWiki, but I can see a lot to say for
the viewpoint that it would be overkill.

- d.