[Mediawiki-l] UTF-8 problems in Mediawiki

Jeff Lane jeffl at valvesoftware.com
Thu Jan 4 01:22:51 UTC 2007



Christian Lerrahn wrote:
> 
> my Mediawiki 1.7 can't display any UTF-8 characters. My MySQL server
> defaults to UTF-8 and my tables usually have collation latin1_bin. This
> is exactly how things were set up when I installed Mediawiki. However,
> my interwiki links did not work until I changed the collation of
> column iw_prefix to latin1_swedish_ci. Even now I cannot use any UTF-8
> characters in Mediawiki. I have another install that runs most columns
> (not all) on latin1_swedish_ci and there UTF-8 seems to work fine. I'm
> now wondering if I have to manually change my columns on the
> non-working install to latin1_swedish_ci or if there is also a way of
> getting this to work with the latin1_bin columns.
> 
> Any hints on this?

I'm having the same problem, or something very similar. I recently upgraded
a server using latin1_bin from 1.4.12 to 1.5.8 to update the database, then
to 1.8.2. Everything is running now except none of the interwiki links work.
I didn't have any success changing the mw_interwiki table to
latin1_swedish_ci, though it's possible I'm not doing it correctly. My
knowledge of MySQL is admittedly not very deep.

I can see through the archives that you've had this problem for several
months with no reply, unfortunately.

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/UTF-8-problems-in-Mediawiki-tf2775307.html#a8152321
Sent from the WikiMedia General mailing list archive at Nabble.com.




More information about the MediaWiki-l mailing list