[Mediawiki-l] Free and ad-free mediawiki hosting anywhere?

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jan 3 12:32:53 UTC 2007

On 1/3/07, Frederik Dohr <fdg001 at gmx.net> wrote:
> I haven't looked into this, but I think Wikia does or will provide free
> WM service.
> Jimmy Wales announced something like this a couple of weeks ago:
> http://slashdot.org/articles/06/12/12/1553258.shtml
>
> Oh wait, seems like that's not completely ad-free after all.

Supposedly you get 100% of the revenue for the ads, though, so maybe
there is some way to turn them off.  If, that is, it ever happens.  So
far the project has done nothing but collect people's personal
information.  It is, so far, vaporware.  (Maybe one of the investors
realized that borrowing money from venture capitalists isn't a
business model.)

Anthony