[Mediawiki-l] Multi-server distributed MediaWiki

Kasimir Gabert kasimir.g at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 02:38:18 UTC 2007

Hello Kelly Jones,

It seems to me that what you are trying to accomplish is already part
of MediaWiki -- just have all of the ten MediaWikis use the same
server, or set up each section of articles on a different
interwiki-linked database.  This would remove the need to rsync
between each of the servers, and it would remove the need for you to
manually change anything.  The conflicts would not happen, because
everything would be done in real time.

What are you trying to do?

Kasimir

On 1/1/07, KlinT <klint at klintcentral.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> May be you can try to have a look to mysql-cluster feature ...
>
> But, i guess that you must adapt/change the mediawiki source code il
> order to make sql requests mysql-cluster compliant ... :)
>
> should be hard job ... but funny
>
> Best regards
>
> Arnaud.
>
> Le 2 janv. 07 à 01:31, George Herbert a écrit :
>
> > On 12/31/06, Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It's "easy" to mirror a MediaWiki from one primary server to a number
> >> of secondary servers, but is it possible to have multiple primary
> >> servers?
> >>
> >> Example: 10 servers and users can make changes on ANY of the 10
> >> servers. Every night, the servers rsync to each other as follows:
> >>
> >> 1. If server X's version hasn't changed all day and server Y's
> >> version
> >> HAS changed, server X accepts server Y's version.
> >>
> >> 2. If both server X's and server Y's versions have changed, automatic
> >> CVS style merging is used to resolve the changes.
> >>
> >> 3. If CVS style merging yields a conflict, the site maintainer is
> >> notified and must merge the two files manually (I'm thinking of a
> >> creating a small site, so this shouldn't be too painful)
> >>
> >> I realize the rules above only work for 2 servers -- is there a
> >> clever
> >> version of this for n servers (n>2)?
> >
> > What are you trying to accomplish by doing that?
> >
> > The way the data is in the databases, it's a little more hard than
> > that.
> >
> > How well do you understand clustering theory?
> >

> > --
> > -george william herbert
> > george.herbert at gmail.com

Kasimir Gabert