[Mediawiki-l] WikiSysop creation?

Gary Kirk gary.kirk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:10:56 UTC 2007

It would perhaps be easier to re-run the web-based installer, with
which you can create the WikiSysop user (or whatever you want the
username of the initial bureaucrat and sysop to be) - rename
LocalSettings.php to, say, LocalSettingsCopy.php and refresh the wiki
in your browser, which will cause the install to re-run, as long as
you didn't delete the /config directory. Using your
LocalSettingsCopy.php file, enter the details & WikiSysop user.

On 8/17/07, Jean-Lou Dupont <jeanlou.dupont at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know which version of MW you are using but this seems odd re:not
> prompted to create the WikiSysop.
>
> In any case, just register a new user and use PHPMYADMIN / MySQL to edit
> the 'user_groups' table to add your newly created user with a 'sysop' group.
>
> jld.
>
> Peter Laws wrote:
> > Jean-Lou Dupont wrote:
> >> The default WikiSysop is created upon creation of the Wiki. If you want
> >> to change the password, you must know the current password (!).
> >> On the other hand, if you forgot the password to your WikiSysop, why
> >> don't you use the 'E-Mail password' feature of the Log In page?
> >
> > Were that it were so easy.  I was never prompted to create a
> > "WikiSysop" user.  I was prompted to create a wikiuser for the DB
> > (MySQL if it makes a difference), but never WikiSysop.
> >
> > If I enter WikiSysop, and try to email the password to me (or
> > wherever), I get:
> >
> > Login error:
> > Error sending mail: There is no e-mail address recorded for user
> > "WikiSysop".

Gary Kirk