[Mediawiki-l] Is dynamic content searchable?

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 12:13:53 UTC 2007

On 17/08/07, Dan Bolser <dan.bolser at gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that when a template is used to categorize a page, changing
> the category in the template does not recategorize the page until the
> page is next viewed. Does this mean that the category information in
> the database is updated similarly (per page view), or is this
> mechanism somehow smart, only updating the cat

When a page is saved, a link update is performed; the page is parsed,
and the link information in the parser output object is used to update
the various link tables in the database. At the same time, pages
linking to the current page are "touched" so that their caches are
invalidated and they will be re-rendered upon their next view.

For templates, there's some special handling; for each page including
a page, a job is created which performs a link update on *that* page,
thus links from templates (images, categories, etc.) are updated in
the link tables, too. This behaviour was introduced in 1.6.0.

The default operating mode for the job queue is to run jobs once per
each page view, thus I suspect what you're seeing is a symptom of
that. It's also worth pointing out that as of about 1.9 or 1.10
(whichever release included cascading protection), link updates are
done under certain circumstances upon page views, so updating is no
longer quite so cut-and-dried, and things might be updated more or
less often.

Rob Church