[Mediawiki-l] New to wiki software, have some questions for large-scale deployment

Emufarmers Sangly emufarmers at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 03:31:36 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Seth Brundle <brundlefly76 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1. What wiki platforms should I be looking to put on my short list for
> evaluation?

This is the MediaWiki mailing list.  Want to guess which platform people are
going to suggest? :)

There is other wiki software out there, including twiki, MoinMoin, and
others...Wikipedia has a comparison list.[1]

> 2. Need pointers to articles referencing large-scale deployment, pros and
> cons of different caching strategies, and some examples of large-scale
> architectures.

The WMF caching strategy is to "cache everything": Their architecture () has
Squid caches handling most requests for anonymous users, and I think they
have Memcached for the rest.  They also have APC for the PHP on their
Apaches.[2][3]

I'm sure one of the actual server maintainers could give you more details,
but I certainly think it's impressive that Wikipedia is able to manage all
the load of extremely dynamic content on the ninth-most-visited site with
only a few hundred servers.  If you need your platform to be scalable on a
massive scale, MediaWiki should definitely be on your short list.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_servers
[3] http://dammit.lt/uc/workbook2007.pdf

--