[Mediawiki-l] using pretty URLs

Azurite azurite at seventh-star.net
Thu Aug 9 09:39:28 UTC 2007

> Does your host let you use .htaccess files? (Most decent hosts will.) If so,
> then yes: Read the short URL article.  If not, then no.

Yes, I do have access and editing abilities for my .htaccess files, but
I already read the article, and this portion concerned me: "

If the Alias method is not suitable (for example, you use PHP as a CGI),
you can use Apache *mod_rewrite* rules instead. mod_rewrite is an Apache
module which allows certain request URLs to be changed into other URLs.
mod_rewrite is fairly powerful, and also fairly complicated, but for
short URLs only a simple rule is required. You can read the full
mod_rewrite manual here
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html>.

Make sure Apache loads the Rewrite module."

I can't use the mod_rewrite rules unless I have root access, it seems,
which I don't. I know there are two other methods for using the pretty
URLs if you don't have root access, but will they work if I'm using PHP
as a CGI module? I don't want to attempt the edit only to have to undo
it because it doesn't work or causes problems.
-Azurite