[Mediawiki-l] Greek letters: char vs glyph?

Jim Hu jimhu at tamu.edu
Tue Aug 7 14:00:17 UTC 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 1:48 AM, Sylvain Machefert wrote:

> I think you'd better tweak the search. If you enter &alpha
> it'll find
> the alpha search, but it will print & alpha ; when you'll view your
> article.

I was reluctantly coming to the same conclusion.

> I've modified the search process on my site.
> "Jovano Jovanke" is a well known song from Macedonia, pronounced
> iovano...
> (the "j" is pronounced "i"). So everybody write it a different
> way : ïovano,
> iovano, jovano... if you search for "iovano" you'll find "jovano"
> which is
> the right orthography.
> http://tousauxbalkans.jexiste.fr/index.php5?search=iovano&go=Consulter
>
> the same with a lot of diacritics letters no Latin-1, and also
> cyrillic...
> "iovano" search also for "Йовано"... it's not yet perfect, not
> finished, it
> was hard work

What is your approach to tweaking the search?  Do you modify the
searchindex table itself, or do something to the query, or both?
Since the searchindex has a minimum word length for searching,
looking for single characters seems like it won't work.  I was
thinking that the way to go would be to transliterate (is that the
right word) these when building the searchindex.  I think my needs
are less demanding than yours!

Jim

<snip>