[Mediawiki-l] Design querry: history tab

henna hennar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 19:31:36 UTC 2006

On 10/21/06, ApostateAmish at aol.com <ApostateAmish at aol.com> wrote:
> Those tabs at the top of a page in default MediaWiki installations  interfere
> with my design goals. In general, I want pages to focus on the content  of
> pages, not on the function of a site or of a "community." I nixed the "view
> source" tab which appears for the vast majority of users who will not have edit
> access, though that control of access is still dependent on page protection
> instead of on granular permissions. Eventually I will move most article
> development into protected namespaces, or use another approach to regulation
> editorial access.
>
> The glitch now is that pesky "history" tab. The vast majority of readers  who
> see a tab that says "history" over an article about baseball, for example,
> will expect that tab to lead to information about the history of baseball, not
> to a page of unfathomable links to "cur" and "Talk" and "contribs".
>
> Now, it's not that I don't need version control. That's why I selected
> MediaWiki -- it provides for version control and for shared editorial access. I
> just don't need to wear my choice in software on my sleeve.
>
> My question is, has anyone developed other schema for rendering these tabs?
> A left column placement would be an easy way to reduce the visibility of the
> tags, but that doesn't settle ambiguity about what they mean, and it doesn't
> negate the implication that version control (history) is relevant to the
> average  user. My first best option would be to have the history tab appear only
> for  those with edit privileges on that page. If I go that route, I'll probably
> find  a way to revise it as I plod along through revising the "edit" tab
> logic.
>
> I query here because I doubt I am the only one to have used MediaWiki for
> other purposes than to promote the idea that "anybody can edit." Are there other
>  working schemas in circulation for rendering these  tabs?

the simpelest thing to do is either write a css from scratch/based on
monobook where you 'hide' those tabs (visibility:hidden;
display:none), only thing you need to know is how to use css.
The other option is designing a custom skin, you'll need to know some
php&html for that, examples can be found in /skins/

henna

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"