[Mediawiki-l] Focus on the search field

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 09:44:18 UTC 2006

Vasiliadis, Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any way to set the focus on the search field, so that if I open
> the Wikistartpage, I can write in the search field without use the mouse
> first such is it solved by google.

Although MediaWiki includes a search tool, it is a *wiki*, not a search engine.
Setting focus to the search field would:

* destroy keyboard navigation
* destroy the ability to use fragment links to jump to sections
* generally be very annoying 99% of the time

If for some reason you insist on doing this, you can just slip in some
JavaScript. There are numerous JavaScript references on the web.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)