[Mediawiki-l] Server Side Caching for Default Installation

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Mar 16 18:55:01 UTC 2006

Jon Belanger wrote:
> I figured out the solution to my problem
>
> TRUNCATE TABLE objectcache;
>
> It would be nice for MediaWiki to truncate the table for you if you
> change $wgCachePages from it's default to FALSE.  Or anyway, just have
> $wgCachePages be false by default.

As of MediaWiki 1.6 $wgCacheEpoch is updated along with the timestamp of your
LocalSettings.php on new installations. You can add this yourself if you expect
to constantly make such changes:

# When you make changes to this configuration file, this will make
# sure that cached pages are cleared.
$configdate = gmdate( 'YmdHis', @filemtime( __FILE__ ) );
$wgCacheEpoch = max( $wgCacheEpoch, $configdate );

> Some of my questions still stand, why do the preferences in the user
> table effect wether or not to use the cache, I wonder??

Generally they don't; they effect which cached copy you get.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)