[Mediawiki-l] Auto login via Remote User

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Feb 28 22:32:07 UTC 2006

Chris Earle (CBL) wrote:
> This extension http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Auto_Login_via_REMOTE_USER
> requires web server  authentication right?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that the contents of the User Table
> would have to be in the passwd file defined through the .htaccess file
> right?
>
> .. because it passes whatever the user authenticates on the webserver with
> through to the wiki/extensions scripts right?
>
> (resulting in this not really being useful because i've got to duplicate my
> user table ....)

The idea is that Apache is setup to authenticate users using
PAM/LDAP/..., so it's already using whatever user/password database you
already have.

Then, with this addon, you get all the accounts loaded into MediaWiki
automatically (well, when people first access the wiki), without having
to maintain a separatate user/password database in MediaWiki itself.