[Mediawiki-l] Part of a page in another page

Josiah Ritchie josiah.ritchie at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 14:50:47 UTC 2006

On 2/19/06, FxParlant <f-x.p at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hello Josiah,
>
> I'm pretty sure this could be achieved through a little extension.
>
> Tell us more how it would work.
> *if it is the first paragraph, then there is maybe three titles
> included...wouldn't you like better when you call a paragraph "abstract"
> and this resumé is included in other page
> *do you want to call the abstract, page by page, or a lot of them: just
> the page abc or all the page linking to the current page.
>
> Beware in any case on the performance issues of page loading.

I'd like to call several abstracts to a front page. This would
somewhat emualate a newspaper where you would read a certain amount of
an article on the front to get you hooked and then it would take you
to the full articly via a link at the bottom. However, on the front
page you'd have the option of a number of articles in a number of
subjects to catch the eye.

Ideally, I'm dreaming here, I'd be calling a certain number of words
to the front page. Maybe it could be an extension with syntax like
[[PageName:##]] where ## indicates the number of words or paragraphs.
To get real fancy ##w or ##p to indicate words or paragraphs
respectively. Also, I'd not expect a link to the full article to be
automatically created at the end because I'd want to handle that
myself using custom text.

The reason I don't want to do this manually is because it seems to
defeat the purpose of a wiki if I have to change it in 2 places when I
make changes, though that is probably how we will accomplish this for
now.

Thanks,
JSR/