[Mediawiki-l] Caching is making me crazy...

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:58:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:23:55 +0100, Sebastien BARRE
<sebastien.barre at kitware.com> wrote:
> At 2/28/2005 04:59 AM, Brion Vibber wrote:
> >Instead, you should try adding a "don't cache this page" flag to the
> >parser, which an extension could trigger.

[...]

> Actually as far as
> I'm concerned, a safe assumption would require less work: if an extension
> tag is detected in a page, it should always be re-created (unless some
> global flags is set, if you really want to disable that on large project
> like Wikipedia).

The point is, this is a chicken-and-egg problem - if the page is being
read from cache, there is no way of knowing whether or not it contains
an extension tag, or any other feature. It is logically impossible to
determine whether to parse something as part of the process of parsing
it.

Hence the sensible solution seems to be to have some flag which is
checked by the code which *creates* the copy in the cache, and
by-passes it if set (i.e. if the extension handler is producing
dynamic content). Then, there wouldn't be a cached copy available, so
it would *have* to be re-created.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]