[Mediawiki-l] Extension function called twice on edit?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Feb 21 03:50:47 UTC 2005

Muzaffer Ozakca wrote:
> If you look through it, there are two "Call in extension" lines, one after
> submitting the page and one for viewing the updated page. Is this normal?

Yes. The page is parsed on edit to extract link information to update
the link tables when saving.

Then the user views the page, and it's parsed again and the final HTML
conversion stages are applied. If the parser cache is on, this version
will be saved for future page views by users with the same options until
the cache entry expires or the page is invalidated by another action.

> By the way, I guess
> there was a change in caching between 1.3 and 1.4. I was able to refresh
> caches by doing a hard refresh from the browser to get updated pages in
> 1.3.10 but not in 1.4.

The parser cache is on by default in 1.4; a browser refresh will
rerender only the skin, not the page contents. You can manually flush
the cache for a page with action=purge. If you really want to you can of
course disable it; see DefaultSettings.php for all config options.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)