[Mediawiki-l] Re: Optimization of Rewriting Rules?

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Wed Feb 16 18:44:30 UTC 2005

On 16 Feb 2005, at 10:38, Ira Abramov wrote:

> Quoting Jan Steinman, from the post of Wed, 16 Feb:
>>
>> On 16 Feb 2005, at 08:33, Martin Steiger wrote:
>>
>>> Right now, I'm using the following working rewriting rules...
>>
>> Is there any particular reason you used RewriteRules instead of Alias?
>
> well, the point is having a url like
>    /wiki/PageName
> rather than
>    /wiki/index.php?title=PageName
>
> which is what Rewrite does and Alias does not.

Alias is doing exactly that on my site right now. Or is it my
imagination?

	<http://www.IslandSeeds.org/wiki/Main_Page>

comes via:

         Alias /wiki/stylesheets /[path to
website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/stylesheets
         Alias /wiki/style /[path to website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/style
         Alias /wiki/images /[path to website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/images
         Alias /wiki/skins /[path to website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/skins
         Alias /wiki/redirect.php /[path to
website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/redirect.php
         Alias /wiki/textvc.php /[path to
website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/textvc.php
         Alias /wiki/index.php /[path to
website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/index.php
         Alias /wiki /[path to website]/IslandSeeds/wiki/index.php

Try it, you'll like it!

:::: An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will
become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty
girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray
her exactly as she is, and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she
used to be, more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of
an armadillo see that this lovely young girl is still alive, prisoned
inside her ruined body. He can make you feel the quiet endless tragedy
that there was never a girl born who ever grew older than eighteen in
her heart. -- Robert Heinlein
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/Item/915908>