[Mediawiki-l] Passwords

Jan Steinman Jan at Bytesmiths.com
Mon Feb 7 07:50:47 UTC 2005

I've added fields to table mw_user to make a general purpose
association membership database. (Yea, I know: I should have extended
it into another table and used a join as needed. Sorry.)

I've also loaded this database with user data. It shows up in
[[Special:Users]] just fine.

Unfortunately, passwords are a problem. It appears to be some hash on
the user name, since I tried copying and pasting the password data from
one user to another, but the user for which I pasted it cannot log in
with that password!

Before I go crawling through the code, does anyone have any hints or
alternatives by which I can bulk-enter password data for users to use?
Will the 'user_newpassword' field behave better for this sort of thing?

Thanks!

:::: You know you have reached perfection of design not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away. --
Antoine de'Exupery
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>