[Mediawiki-l] Help with customizing MW 1.3

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Fri Jul 23 18:16:06 UTC 2004

Jimmy Apple wrote:

> Hello,
> Just upgraded to 1.3 b4 Mediawiki,
> And still was looking for a place (if there is one) or
> some help on how to customize the menus. I found the
> .css files that I can control the look, but how do I
> customize which menus appear?

Customization is _not_ MediaWiki's strong suit. It's primarily designed for
Wikipedia, with other Wikimedia projects coming in a distant second, and any
other wikis way off the radar screen.

Anyways: probably the easiest thing to do is create your own PHPTal template,
and use that. You'll have to disable the other skins, though. You can start with
the one in MW 1.3, and customize it.

> And also, can I make pages editable ONLY by registered
> users? Or protect all pages from editing?

It sounds to me like you don't really need a wiki engine, but a content
management system (CMS).

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Internet/Site_Management/Content_Management/Open_Source/

There's some vestigial registered-only options you can turn on, but I wouldn't
guarantee that they actually work. See DefaultSettings.php for info on the
config variables.

~ESP