[Mediawiki-l] Blankness...

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Apr 17 23:41:56 UTC 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 10:35, Xyanth wrote:
> I also tried running the 'classic' setup from scratch, and the classic
> setup DELETES all the data in the index.php file, just leaving it as a
> blank file sitting there.  It also deletes the data from several other
> files in the main directory of the Wiki.

DO NOT RUN THE CLASSIC SETUP WITH SOURCE AND DESTINATION DIRECTORY THE
SAME, AS IT WILL BLANK MANY FILES AND WILL PRODUCE A HIGHLY INSECURE
INSTALLATION THAT EXPOSES MAINTENANCE SCRIPTS TO THE PUBLIC WHICH CAN
BE USED TO DESTROY YOUR WIKI IF YOU MANUALLY RESTORE THE BLANKED FILES.

It's been disabled entirely in 1.2.4 just to stop people from trying
it. :)

> Any clue what is going on?  I've searched the web and come up with
> very little to explain exactly what it is that's causing either of
> these problems.

No idea, as I've never been able to reproduce the problem. I'm hoping
some kind soul will be able to debug it and let us know at exactly
which point it fails... But I'll test on WinXP and see if I can
reproduce it there.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)