MediaWiki 1.2.0rc1 is now available for download at:
This is a release candidate, and may contain a few rough edges still.
Those feeling adventurous, please try it out -- on a safe server after
backing up all your data -- and please report any exciting new
problems. If we don't hear about your problems, they'll never get
A few notes:
* Things should again work out of the box with MySQL 3.x (though 4.x is
* We are now compatible with short_open_tag = Off
* wiki.phtml and redirect.phtml have now become index.php and
redirect.php to improve compatibility. The old names are still
available for compatibility, so you don't have to change your
configuration for existing installs. If you're mixing other stuff in
with the wiki's install directory, please be sure this doesn't conflict
with other existing files!
* Installation now prompts you to ask if you want to create a sysop or
developer account and lets you pick the name and password instead of
using the AdminSettings.php defaults.
* A new page, Special:Version lists the MediaWiki, PHP, and MySQL
version numbers. Please don't forget to note these when reporting bugs!
We tend to track current production releases of PHP and MySQL, and
sometimes things break on older or experimental versions of these that
we don't always see.
Database messages are now on by default, you can turn this off if the
performance hit is too great. We hope to improve the speed of this
A couple things we don't have in yet:
* We don't yet have an installer that's friendly to those without shell
access, sorry. Hopefully we'll have something for 1.2.0 final.
* We still require register_globals = On.
* No PHP5 compatibility. I know there are a few keyword conflicts which
should be easy to fix, but we haven't tested this yet.
See the file RELEASE-NOTES for a bit on the new features and bug fixes.
You can report problems at SourceForge at:
-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com