I upgraded teflpedia.com from MW1.22.2 to MW1.31.1 last week.
A few days later I got a warning that my shared hosting account was
running out of storage. It had ballooned by 2GB and was hitting it's
The increase was .cagefs/tmp/magick-* files piling up. So I Googled
that and read that those may be ImageMagick dump files from
ImageMagick failing to complete stuff.
So I visited my Special:ListFiles page. Then I again checked
.cagefs/tmp/ and found more magick-* files, like magick-rsYwKaSU 62MB
each, piled in there. I removed them again.
I have mitigated the problem by setting $wgMaxShellMemory = 300000; in
my LocalSettings.php. I don't know why this mitigates it, but it seems
to. It is a setting that had been working in my MW1.22.2 for years. It
seems to work on my shared webhosting server. The default value in
DefaultSettings.php -- $wgMaxShellMemory = 307200 -- causes this
problem for me. Is it too high for my shared webhosting environment?
It seems to be what was causing the problem. I don't know why. Setting
it too low causes the problem too, but 300000 (300MB) has worked for
me for years on this webhost. So I'll leave that set in my
LocalSettings.php with a note to keep an eye on it.
There are some notes from years past on this talk page:
If you have clue or suggestions about this, please let us know.
hosted on Dathorn.com shared webhosting
I use QuestyCaptch (it is in ConfirmEdit extension) to fight spam.
I use CSS in wiki's Common.css page to make the question more
noticeable, because otherwise it just shows up in normal text which is
not obvious and very easy to overlook.
I am successfully styling the QuestyCaptcha question for page edits
that add URLs with this in Common.css:
/* ConfirmEdit QuestyCaptcha, on add URL in edit
However, that does not style the question at all on the Account
Creation page. The QuestyCaptcha quesion is very easy to overlook on
that page. Any suggestions?
Hello, when I try to upload a png or svg file I get this error:
Exception encountered, of type "LocalFileLockError"
[XC4uL4ZffggAACRtm4QAAAAC] /wiki/Spezial:Hochladen LocalFileLockError
from line 1930 of
/afs/.rrz.uni-koeln.de/vol/www/projekt/sarazenen/http/docs/wiki/includes/filerepo/file/LocalFile.php: Could not acquire lock for
/afs/.rrz.uni-koeln.de/vol/www/projekt/sarazenen/http/docs/wiki/includes/upload/UploadBase.php(729): LocalFile->upload(string, string, string, integer, array, boolean, User,
/afs/.rrz.uni-koeln.de/vol/www/projekt/sarazenen/http/docs/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUpload.php(537): UploadBase->performUpload(string, string, boolean, User,
What is the problem here?
This is a puzzle to me.
shows the span tag, like above, when I open the category tree on my
test wiki running MediaWiki 1.31.1 with extension CategoryTree
(bundled in MediaWiki) enabled. That span tag should get parsed by the
browser, not be displayed.
This did not happen with new MW 1.31.1 install plus CategoryTree
(which is included in that version of MW). That expanded or closed the
category trees for me correctly.
It started happening when I dumped my wiki's database into that new MW
1.31.1 instance's database. Yes, I did run maintenance/update.php
after dumping my wiki's database in there. Didn't have any trouble
It is a puzzle to me whow the database input and update can cause this
problem of the span tag showing. The span tag is dynamic text -- it is
not selectable in the web browser. The rest of the page text is, but
that problem span tag and it's arrow is not, for example, when you
click on one of the ► arrows on my test wiki's Contents page, which
uses CategoryTree, here:
http://m.rogerchrisman.com/Contents you will see the problem <span tag.
I don't think my site root level URL shortening is the problem.
CategoryTree worked fine with that, till I dumped my teflpedia wiki's
database into above test wiki. That is when the <span tag started
The MediaWiki 1.22.2 wiki I am trying to upgrade
(http://teflpedia.org) uses an old version (from about 2013) of
CategoryTree that does not have this problem. I tested installing the
old version of CategoryTree on my upgraded wiki and that works fine.
However, I'd rather not use an out of date version, and I am puzzled
as to what is causing this <span style="color:#0645;"> tag to show up
displayed on the page instead of being interpreted as html the way it
normally is. It shows up in both Firefox and in Microsoft Edge on my
Windows 10 and in Firefox on my Xubuntu. Haven't tested other
Welcome to test it in your browser:
(and click one of the little arrows, not the category page names, to
expand or close the tree). That is what shows the problem <span tag.
Happy New Year!
I can't believe it, 2019... almost!