I am a photographer and photography historian. Some wikipedia articles
containing wrong information on the history of photography and photography
day have been found.
There is no day called world photography day and none of the international
agencies like the United Nations, UNESCO celebrate a day called photography
Important milestones in the history of photography:
· 'View from the window at Le Gras', is the world’s first successful
photograph and it was made by French scientist Joseph Nicephore Niepce in
June-July 1827 (It is now well preserved at the Harry Ransom Centre, Texas
· Another person named Louis Daguerre joined him on a 10 year
contract on December 14, 1829.
· Unluckily, Joseph Nicephore Niepce died on July 5, 1833 and
Daguerre continued the contract with Niepce’s son.
· In the meantime, Daguerre made all the research works of Niepce in
his name and came out with Daguerreotype.
· He then patented this in Britain on August 14, 1839 and then went
on announcing this in the French Science Academy on August 19, 1839.
· This was done without acknowledging the inventor of photography,
Joseph Nicephore Niepce and Niepce’s son protested against this by
· In 'Photography', the first book on the history of photography,
written in 1857, the world famous art-critic Lady Elizabeth Eastlake calls
August 19 as the day of treachery in the history of photography.
· Fast forward to 2000, a photographer called “OP” from Agra, India
declares ‘world photography day’ on his own.
· In another instance, this year, I saw someone's post on social
media declaring June 29th as National Camera Day. After an hour, a
photographer from Kochi made it World Camera Day. This is how days are
being declared on social media these days.
Therefore, celebrating photography day by forgetting the contributions of
numerous scientists and photographers like Joseph Nicephore Niepce is a
historical crime. It is the responsibility of everyone who loves
photography to maintain the sanctity of the history of photography. So, I
humbly request you to examine the authenticity of this day and do the
It is not okay for some random person on social media to declare world
days. Hoping for necessary corrections and removal.