I'm pleased to announce the results of the wikimeet survey that ran late last year.
The summary and full details are now on Meta at:
The key results from the survey that should affect future wikimeets are:
- Organising wikimeets in South East England should be a priority (We are assuming that
when people selected this, they meant official South East England region, which does not
include London, since that was a separate option)
- There should be more local wikimeets: ideally they should be no more than about 30
minutes away from a number of Wikimedians, who should only have to pay £5-£10 to get to
the wikimeet by public transportation.
- The best times for a wikimeet are on Saturday or Sunday afternoons, preferably in a
museum/cultural institute or a cafe rather than a pub.
- Better notifications should be sent around about upcoming wikimeets, ideally through
email, user talk pages and watchlists, on a regional or UK-wide basis about a month in
advance of the wikimeet.
- There are a number of people who would potentially be willing to organise a local
wikimeet, but most need more information about this, and others need assistance. WMUK
should follow up with those that are willing to organise wikimeets to offer them any
support/assistance that they need.
Please post any comments on the talk page for the results. Hopefully we can try
implementing some of the suggested changes to wikimeets and the way that wikimeet
notifications are circulated in the near future!