The Wikimedia Language Engineering team is pleased to announce the
first release of the MediaWiki Language Extension Bundle. The bundle
is a collection of selected MediaWiki extensions needed by any wiki
which desires to be multilingual.
This first bundle release (2012.11) is compatible with MediaWiki 1.19,
1.20 and 1.21alpha.
Get it from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB
The Universal Language Selector is a must have, because it provides an
essential functionality for any user regardless on the number of
languages he/she speaks: language selection, font support for
displaying scripts badly supported by operating systems and input
methods for typing languages that don't use Latin (a-z) alphabet.
Maintaining multilingual content in a wiki is a mess without the
Translate extension, which is used by Wikimedia, KDE and
translatewiki.net, where hundreds of pieces of documentation and
interface translations are updated every day; with Localisation Update
your users will always have the latest translations freshly out of the
oven. The Clean Changes extension keeps your recent changes page
uncluttered from translation activity and other distractions.
Don't miss the chance to practice your rusty language skills and use
the Babel extension to mark the languages you speak and to find other
speakers of the same language in your wiki. And finally the cldr
extension is a database of language and country translations.
We are aiming to make new releases every month, so that you can easily
stay on the cutting edge with the constantly improving language
support. The bundle comes with clear installation and upgrade
installations. The bundle is tested against MediaWiki release
versions, so you can avoid most of the temporary breaks that would
happen if you were using the latest development versions instead.
Because this is our first release, there can be some rough edges.
Please provide us a lot of feedback so that we can improve for the
I would like to announce the release of MediaWiki Language Extension
Bundle 2020.07. This bundle is compatible with MediaWiki 1.33 or above
and requires PHP 7.2 or above.
Next MLEB is expected to be released in 3 months. If there are very
important bug fixes, we will do an intermediate release. Please give
us your feedback at
* Download: https://translatewiki.net/mleb/MediaWikiLanguageExtensionBundle-2020.07.tar…
* sha256sum: 7334f6c0f4e00a451d976c81024c955061cffc3466d8a03fd223733992d0a2d5
* Signature: https://translatewiki.net/mleb/MediaWikiLanguageExtensionBundle-2020.07.tar…
* Installation instructions are at: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB
* Announcements of new releases will be posted to a mailing list:
* Report bugs to: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/
* Talk with us at: #mediawiki-i18n @ Freenode
Release notes for each extension are below.
-- Kartik Mistry
== Babel, CleanChanges and LocalisationUpdate ==
* Localisation and maintenance updates.
== cldr ==
* Update to cldr 37.
== Translate ==
* Fixes to moving and deletion of translatable pages.
* Improved escape sequence handling for the Android XML file format.
* Display a help message when editing a translatable page source.
* Translations are now published instead of saved, for consistency
with rest of MediaWiki. ([[phab:T131132|Phab:T131132]])
* Updated Google Translate integration ([[phab:T33695|Phab:T33695]])
* Patrolling of edits to translation pages is allowed.
* Message index should now be more robust and issues like "the message
does not correspond to any message group" when translating should no
longer occur. ([[phab:T221119|Phab:T221119]])
* Ensure plural keyword other is always present in exports for yaml
and json. ([[gerrit:c/mediawiki/extensions/Translate/+/603470|Gerrit
* Interface changes to message validator code. If you have custom
validators, you need to migrate them to a new interface.
* Translatable pages can now prevent wrapping of outdated (and in
future untranslated) units by using <translate nowrap> syntax.<!--
unescape for email -->([[phab:T256625|Phab:T256625]])
* Slight changes to Special:PageTranslation interface.
== UniversalLanguageSelector ==
* SkinTemplateOutputPageBeforeExec is deprecated, use SkinAfterPortlet
=== Input Methods ===
* Added Baoulé tilde keyboard.
Kartik Mistry | કાર્તિક મિસ્ત્રી
This is an announcement about a new installment of the Language Showcase, a
series of presentations about various aspects of language diversity and its
connection to Wikimedia Projects.
This next installment will deal with the translatewiki website, the
Translate extension in general, the latest technical updates in both of
them, and some upcoming projects.
This session is going to be broadcast over Zoom, and a recording will be
published for later viewing.
Please read below for the event details, including local time, joining
links and do let us know if you have any questions.
== Details ==
# Event: Language Showcase #6
# When: July 22, 2020 (Wednesday) at 13:00 UTC (check local time
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 995 8596 1221
The translatewiki website, the Translate extension in general, the latest
technical updates in both of them, and some upcoming projects.