The Wikimedia Language Engineering team is pleased to announce the
first release of the MediaWiki Language Extension Bundle. The bundle
is a collection of selected MediaWiki extensions needed by any wiki
which desires to be multilingual.
This first bundle release (2012.11) is compatible with MediaWiki 1.19,
1.20 and 1.21alpha.
Get it from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB
The Universal Language Selector is a must have, because it provides an
essential functionality for any user regardless on the number of
languages he/she speaks: language selection, font support for
displaying scripts badly supported by operating systems and input
methods for typing languages that don't use Latin (a-z) alphabet.
Maintaining multilingual content in a wiki is a mess without the
Translate extension, which is used by Wikimedia, KDE and
translatewiki.net, where hundreds of pieces of documentation and
interface translations are updated every day; with Localisation Update
your users will always have the latest translations freshly out of the
oven. The Clean Changes extension keeps your recent changes page
uncluttered from translation activity and other distractions.
Don't miss the chance to practice your rusty language skills and use
the Babel extension to mark the languages you speak and to find other
speakers of the same language in your wiki. And finally the cldr
extension is a database of language and country translations.
We are aiming to make new releases every month, so that you can easily
stay on the cutting edge with the constantly improving language
support. The bundle comes with clear installation and upgrade
installations. The bundle is tested against MediaWiki release
versions, so you can avoid most of the temporary breaks that would
happen if you were using the latest development versions instead.
Because this is our first release, there can be some rough edges.
Please provide us a lot of feedback so that we can improve for the
I would like to announce the release of MediaWiki Language Extension
Bundle 2015.08. This bundle is compatible with MediaWiki 1.23.x and
MediaWiki 1.24.x releases.
Next MLEB is expected to be released in 3 months. We are trying less
frequent releases due to low number of changes per month in the
included extensions. If there are major changes or important bug
fixes, we will do intermediate release. Please give us your feedback
* Download: https://translatewiki.net/mleb/MediaWikiLanguageExtensionBundle-2015.08.tar…
* sha256sum: 21cb43509d1e6da3cadc7e594866215d430e110aea5d04857e5cffd2a69db031
* Installation instructions are at: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB
* Announcements of new releases will be posted to a mailing list:
* Report bugs to: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/
* Talk with us at: #mediawiki-i18n @ Freenode
Release notes for each extension are below.
-- Kartik Mistry
== Babel ==
* Localisation updates only.
== CleanChanges and LocalisationUpdate ==
* Supports extension registration now.
== CLDR ==
* Fix names and translations for Northern Luri, Southern Luri,
Shawiya, Laki, Jinyu (cjy) and Cham.
== Translate ==
* Special:SearchTranslations has acquired lots of new features, such
as cross language search. To take advantage of all the new features,
you need to reindex the index with "php scripts/ttmserver-export.php
--reindex". You also need to update ruflin/elastica to 2.2.0 or later,
or recent version of CirrusSearch which bundles it.
* Translatewiki.net specific message group descriptions have been removed.
* ApiHardMessage has been removed.
* The hidden, deprecated non-TUX translation view is being phased out
and many non-essential features have been removed.
* Web service queries to machine translation and remote translation
memory services are now done parallel.
* Some improvements to cache handling so that some caches are
regenerated instead of just purged when content changes.
* The appearance of workflow state selector on Special:Translate has
* Breaking change: The output format of ApiQueryMessageGroups has
changed regarding to workflow states.
* The code no longer checks for the presence of the long deprecated
"revtag_type" database table. Things like proofread messages might
appear as unproofread. If this is the case, run "php
== UniversalLanguageSelector ==
* ULS will use jQuery.i18n from MediaWiki core if available.
* Updated the default geoiplookup URL.
* ULS supports extension registration now.
** Added Gothic font.
* Input Methods:
** Add Northern Luri keyboard layout.
** Add Southern Kurdish keyboard layout.
** Add South Azerbaijani keyboard layout.
** Add Arabic keyboard layout for Western Baluchi (bgn) (Only for
MediaWiki > 1.25).
** Improvement in many keyboard layouts.
Kartik Mistry/કાર્તિક મિસ્ત્રી | IRC: kart_
I have a hard time keeping them straight. As I understand it
- Extension:ContentTranslation aids translation of _entire_ articles
between _separate wikis_ . If you don't visit Special:ContentTranslation
you don't notice its operation.
- Extension:Translate manages translation of article elements within a
_single multilingual wiki_ with its Special:Translate page. It also
presents available localizations of an article on that wiki with its
<languages> tag. Within a <languages> tag it supports <tvar|id> and
<!--T:NN--> to identify translatable elements (and confuse the average wiki
editor :-) ;) ).
(But then how does Extension:Translate work on TranslateWiki to translate
arbitrary messages strings of non-wiki projects?)
If I'm right, https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension%3ATranslate doesn't
explain any of this. Can someone who knows Be Bold and update?
=S Page WMF Tech writer