is Instagram compatible with Creative Commons?
Can I upload *my* Instagram pics on Commons (so could it be used for WLM)?
Please consider that I'm not suggesting Instagram pics are good for WLM
(they are filtered and all, probably not very suitable for illustrating
monuments on Wikipedia)
but is a legal matter.
We still lack a very important tool for Wiki Loves Monuments in
September: A web based map to easily find monuments.
We have the backend containing all the information: The monuments
database has 750.000+ items with geo information and this is accessible
as kml . We just need a web based map interface to wrap around this
and is easy to use.
Some initial requirements:
* Easy, probably only a filter to show monuments with or without a photo
* Works in all participating countries
* Centers on a location useful for the user (ask browser?)
* Is available in multiple languages (translatewiki?)
* Works in standard browsers without any add ons
I've seen plenty of local tools over the years, but no tool that could
just be used be everyone. Who can help out here?
As WLM will start in just 3 days, I wander if anyone wants to (or did)
share the events you organize in your country to get as much participants
and as much (media) attention as possible,
Maybe you find our outreach event inspiring :)
We will start with a flash-mob in Yerevan (capital of Armenia). We have a
group of 20-40 people who are very interested in participating. We'll ask
them to come to a central square wearing WLM T-shirts and at a given
moment they will all together, "suddenly" start to photograph monuments of
Then they will split in smaller groups and go photograph elsewhere. We
will give them printed lists of monuments, as well as flyers to distribute
At the end of the day everyone will come to the city library, where we
will have an "upload party" (or "upload-a-thon").
We are going to do the same event in other cities as well.
We think, this will attract more people to take part to the competition.
Besides, the monuments of these cities will be well documented in
So, how about you?
Wiki Loves Monuments in Armenia 2013
I forward this question (and the answer) from Ukraine, since it may be
of interest to everybody.
> Is it for free? Can our country (Ukraine) apply for it?
yes, the agendas have been donated to us by Lettera27 Foundation and
the shipping cost will be covered by the international team. All local
teams can apply.
The draft version of the questionnaire for this year's participants' survey is ready:
There is a description of the changes with regard to last year's questionnaire on the talk page.
Please give feedback until 30 August! - If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them on the talk page or on this mailing list.
Please let us know if it is ok for you if we add your names at the end of the intro text, as was done in previous years!
Berne University of Applied Sciences
CH-3000 Bern 22
Phone +41 31 848 34 30
Phone (direct number) +41 31 848 34 38
Fax +41 31 848 34 31
We are only 30 minutes away from the beginning of Wiki Loves Monuments 2013.
A number of tools are available at
for following the progress. More tools will likely follow in the next days.
Wiki Loves Monuments will begin at the same time everywhere: Sep 1, 00:00 *
but not at the same instant. It will begin staggered due to the multiple
timezones. This year the contest will be led by Russia. You can view the
at contest times at
(I urge the local teams to verify that the start and end times for their
contest are right)
* Except for Israel, whose contest will be based on Hebrew calendar instead.
We're almost there, teams!
thanks to Yuvi Panda & Maarten Dammers, the mobile app is available! See
more info. It is for the Android phones, and very similar to the app of
last year. This year however it is /not/ supported by the Wikimedia
Foundation (they stopped supporting it almost a year ago), it was revived
by community members.
I just activated the central notice in those countries that at the moment are already able to participate: Russia, China, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand
If you notice any problems, please mail me!
(And give as much as details as possible.)
Settings of the CentralNotice:
* Is only shown if you are in a particular country that is currently participating at the moment (where September already began). The countries participating this year are at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2013/Upload…
* Shows the text in the language you have set, except for those languages we do not have a translation of, then it will be in English. If your language isn't available, be welcome to translate it in your language at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2013/Centra…
* The text is linking to the website of the national contest in the country you are currently visiting the internet. Urls of the websites are at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2013/Centra…
* From now on the banner will be switched on in the hour (or shorter) after the contest started in your country.
Have a good picture contest!
To enable users to upload photos of monuments we recommend that lists of monuments contain a direct upload link so that users can easy use the upload wizard already pre-filled. There are several options possible, but we recommend to use the system which uses an icon independent if an image already is in the list or not. See the + icon in the list below. In that way we also enable participants to upload images from monuments with already a photo, which can be a better photo, a photo from another angle, better perspective, etc.
(The upload campaign stays available for 365 days a year (while images can only participate during September). It is up to local communities if they would like to have the upload link in the lists during the whole year or only during September.)