SEMANTiCS - 19th International Conference on Semantic Systems
September 20 - 22, 2023
The Research and Innovation track at SEMANTiCS 2023 EU welcomes papers
on novel scientific research and/or innovations relevant to the topics
of the conference. Submissions must be original and must not have been
submitted for publication elsewhere. Papers must follow the guidelines
given in the author instructions, including references and optional
appendices. Each submission will be reviewed by several PC members who
will assess it based on its innovativeness, technical merits, and
effectiveness at solving real problems.
SEMANTiCS 2023 especially invites contributions that target the
following main topics, sub-topics in the context of semantic-based
research and systems as well as applicative domains.
= Topics of Interest =
* Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Web Semantics & Linked (Open) Data
* Enterprise Knowledge Graphs, Graph Data Management
* Machine Learning Techniques for/using Knowledge Graphs (e.g.
reinforcement learning, deep learning, data mining and knowledge discovery)
* Knowledge Management (e.g. acquisition, capture, extraction,
authoring, integration, publication)
* Terminology, Thesaurus & Ontology Management
* Reasoning, Rules, and Policies
* Natural Language Processing for/using Knowledge Graphs (e.g. entity
linking and resolution using target knowledge such as Wikidata and
DBpedia, foundation models)
* Crowdsourcing for/using Knowledge Graphs
* Data Quality Management and Assurance
* Mathematical Foundation of Knowledge-aware AI
* Multimodal Knowledge Graphs
* Semantics in Data Science
* Semantics in Blockchain environments
* Trust, Data Privacy, and Security with Semantic Technologies
* Economics of Data, Data Services, and Data Ecosystems
* IoT and Stream Processing
* Conversational AI and Dialogue Systems
* Provenance and Data Change Tracking
* Semantic Interoperability (via mapping, crosswalks, standards, etc.)
* Digital Humanities and Cultural Heritage
* LegalTech, AI Safety, Explainable and Interoperable AI
* Decentralized and/or Federated Knowledge Graphs
Application of Semantically Enriched and AI-Based Approaches:
* Knowledge Graphs in Bioinformatics and Medical AI
* Clinical Use Case of AI-based Approaches
* AI for Environmental Challenges
* Semantics in Scholarly Communication and Open Research Knowledge Graphs
* AI and LOD within GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives, and museums)
= Important Dates =
* Abstract Submission Deadline: May 09, 2023 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
* Paper Submission Deadline: May 16, 2023 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
* Notification of Acceptance: June 20, 2023 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
* Camera-Ready Paper: July 04, 2023 (11:59 pm, Hawaii time)
Submission via Easychair on https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sem23
= Author Guidelines and Submission =
* The Research and Innovation Track welcomes long and short papers. Long
papers should have 12-15 pages of content (excluding references) and
short papers of a maximum length of 6 pages of content (excluding
references). Since references are excluded from page counting, it is
fine to have one or more additional pages for references if they are
relevant to the study submitted.
* Submissions should follow the guidelines of IOS Press. Details are
available at https://www.iospress.com/book-article-instructions.
* Abstract submission for all papers is a strict requirement. To
facilitate bidding, we strongly suggest the authors submit structured
* All papers and abstracts have to be submitted electronically via
* Submissions must be in English.
* Submissions must be anonymous; the reviewing process is double-blind,
but reviewers will be able to disclose their identities if they wish, by
signing their reviews.
* Accepted papers will be published in open access proceedings by IOS
Press, and the text of all the reviews (excluding the scores) of all the
accepted papers will be posted on the conference website and will be
archived on Zenodo as publicly available material.
* At least one author of each accepted paper must register for the
conference and present the paper.
* All authors are strongly suggested to provide optional links to code,
materials, and datasets during the submission process - we will have
specific optional fields in the EasyChair submission form - the review
process will take these into account when provided. To anonymise
resources for the reviewing process, authors can use services like
Anonymous GitHub or figshare/Zenodo as described here.
* The Research and Innovation Track will not accept papers that, at the
time of submission, are under review or have already been published in
or accepted for publication in a journal or another conference.
* All authors will have the opportunity to provide an ORKG comparison in
the Open Research Knowledge Graph (https://orkg.org) during the
submission process - we will have a specific optional field in the
EasyChair submission form.
= Review and Evaluation Criteria =
Each submission will be reviewed by several Programme Committee members.
The reviewing process is double-blind. However, reviewers can disclose
their identity by signing their reviews and/or adding one of their
persistent identifiers (e.g. their ORCID).
The text of all the reviews (excluding the scores) of all the accepted
papers will be posted on the conference website with the basic
bibliographic metadata of the reviewed submission (i.e. title and
authors), and it will be archived on Zenodo as publicly available
material. All the signed reviews of the accepted papers will be licensed
using a Creative Commons Attribution license (CC-BY, the copyright
holder will be the reviewer), except the anonymous ones that will be
released in CC0.
Papers submitted to this track will be evaluated according to the
* Originality, novelty, and innovativeness
* Impact of results
* Soundness of the evaluation
* Proper comparison to related work
* Clarity and quality of writing
* Reproducibility of results and resources
For details please go to: https://2023-eu.semantics.cc/
We are looking forward to your contribution!
Maribel Acosta & Silvio Peroni
Research and Innovation Track Chairs