I've served on a few boards in my time, and if I wanted to "improve the set
of skills and the diversity contributed by newly selected trustees" this is
not how I'd try to do it.
Yes there are likely to be certain skillsets that you want on a board, but
that's a key reason for having independent members. A few years ago I
served ten years on the board of a charity local to me, we had certain
skillsets that we needed on the board, including a retired Medical Dr and a
couple of people who understood investments (our endowment was similar in
size to the WMF). We usually got such skills by recruiting independents who
had the skills we missed but thought we needed. Why else would you want
As for diversity, yes I can see a need and a route to do this via the
community places. But there are ways to do that that retain open elections,
for example, if you want to reserve a seat for "someone resident in sub
saharan africa" you can either create a separate geographic or virtual
constituency, or just use STV but modified to include the most popular
candidate who meets the diversity criteria you chose.
As previously announced, the Celtic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference will
take place on July 1-2, with the goal of gathering participants from
various groups working on minority languages on the Wikimedia projects. In
this update, we would like to share with you some exciting news about the
format, the onsite events, and how your community can contribute to the
program of the conference.
If you know people or groups who are working on minority languages and
could be interested in this event, feel free to share this message with
☘ Contribute to the “News from the Language Communities”
For this year’s edition of the conference, the main call for contributions
from the community takes the shape of a series of lightning talks called
“News from the Language Communities”. The goals of these short
presentations are to give an overview of ongoing projects and work related
to minority languages and the Wikimedia projects, to give an update about
what happened in the past year, to share lessons learned that could be
useful to other groups working on similar projects, and to start
conversations among participants.
Individuals or groups who would like to contribute to this part of the
program are welcome to prepare and send their presentation in the form of a
5-minute pre-recorded video, before May 31. You will find more information
about the content, requirements and support offered by the organizers on
Although international events and travels are possible again, we made the
decision to stick to a hybrid format. The main program will take place
online on July 1-2, and we will actively encourage communities who want to
organize local gatherings as satellite events of the conference. Although
restrictions have loosen up in several countries, we want to acknowledge
that the pandemic is still going on in most of the world, and that
international travel remains difficult from many countries, especially for
financial or paperwork reasons. Therefore, we believe that an online format
remains the best solution in order to ensure the best possible diversity of
☘ Onsite events and scholarships
We are offering two kinds of scholarship around the conference:
scholarships to help with online participation and scholarships to help
with organising onsite events. The aim is to help people take part in the
live conference, and to give people a way to organise events in their area
related to the Celtic Knot.
Onsite event grants are for up to £1,000, with some ideas and more detail
on this page:
Online attendance scholarships are for up to £80 per person. Full details
of the process, and a link to the application form are on this page:
We’re looking forward to your contribution to the Celtic Knot! If you have
any questions or suggestions, feel free to contact me, Daria Cybulska or
For the organizing team,
Community Engagement Coordinator
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.
The Global Advocacy team is looking for your input. We last contacted you about
the launch of the Human Rights Policy. Now, we're asking you to help us
understand how it can best support Wikimedians in practice.
We are hosting a series of community conversations in May. There are 4
regional sessions. Each will be 60 minutes, hosted on zoom, and include
translation support. On this Meta page
you can see the schedule for each call and access the link to register.
What is the outcome of these sessions? Our goal is to learn how community
members' human rights have been challenged and how the Foundation can
better support individuals and prevent such situations. We will do two
things with the information that is shared via these conversations. (1) We
will share a summary of our findings by publishing them on Meta, in a Diff
blog, and (hopefully!) presenting them at Wikimania. (2) Feedback and
recommendations will shape the implementation process of the Human Rights
Where can you learn more about these calls and the Human Rights Policy? You
can learn more about the conversion format, types of questions that will
guide the conversation, as well as the Human Rights Policy on this meta page
What if you can’t join any of these conversations? If you are interested
but cannot attend the calls you can still share your experiences via a
survey that will soon be available.
We hope to see you there,
Ziski from the GA Team
Franziska Putz (she/her)
Movement Advocacy Community Manager, Global Advocacy
I’m writing as Acting Chair of the Community Affairs Committee to invite
you to our next Conversation with the Trustees, which will take place on 21
April at 10:00 UTC <https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1650535215>. This is a
chance for you to speak directly with members of the Wikimedia Foundation
Board of Trustees about our work guiding the Wikimedia Foundation’s
We welcome you to join us on Zoom. Request the Zoom link by emailing
askcac(a)wikimedia.org, or stream live on YouTube
<https://youtu.be/3cd2FxovdXE> instead. You can also email
askcac(a)wikimedia.org to submit questions ahead of time or request language
interpretation for the call.
Agenda items include the Foundation’s Annual Plan and how the community can
participate in shaping it. More agenda items will be added on the event
closer to the date.
Hope to see you there!
*Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight *(she/her)
Acting Chair, Community Affairs Committee
Board of Trustees, Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
In information I read the WMF intends to spend less. However, given that
there is a huge technical debt in maintenance, including software that is
currently not functional. I wonder why we intend to spend less when our
technical house is not in order.
For just one example of technical debt .. Collection / Special:Book usage
So when will we address broken and missing functionality particularly when
it is not Wikipedia?
The annual *#1Lib1Ref* campaign is inviting librarians, researchers, book
lovers, wikimedians, and any other knowledge enthusiasts to add missing
references to articles, in order to make Wikipedia (and, as a consequence,
all other Wikimedia projects) more reliable, complete, and useful!
The May edition of the 2022 #1Lib1Ref campaign will happen from May 15th to
June 5th and is an opportunity for people in the southern hemisphere
(Africa, Asia, Latin America & Oceania) to participate.
This year we are experimenting with new contribution methods and expanding
the languages on Citation Hunt <https://citationhunt.toolforge.org/>.
During the January campaign, we encouraged contributions on Wikisource and
Wikidata and added 9 new languages from CEE. In this round, we are hoping
to add a new contribution method focused on thematic or topical
contributions (for example: adding references written by people who
identify as women) and adding some more languages from Africa, Asia, and
Latin America. We will keep you updated on how things shape up!
Are you excited about the May edition of #1Lib1Ref? Do you have any ideas
or suggestions on how to invite more people to participate? Would you like
to help organize and promote the campaign in your communities? If your
answer is “yes” to any of the previous questions, you can share your
thoughts with the 1Lib1Ref community via the Libraries (
libraries(a)lists.wikimedia.org) and 1Lib1Ref mailing list (
1lib1ref(a)lists.wikimedia.org), by joining the Wikimedia + Libraries User
on Facebook or by reaching out directly to me at gfontenelle(a)wikimedia.org.
If you're planning to organize an event, join the campaign on Outreach
don’t forget to check the Meta-Wiki page for more information:
Giovanna Fontenelle (she/her)
Program Officer; GLAM and Culture
Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees met between March 23-24 for our
first in-person meeting in over two years. It was an opportunity to welcome
our new CEO and several new trustees who have recently joined the Board.
Further updates from the meeting will be shared soon, I am writing now to
report on resolutions that the Board made regarding the upcoming 2022
We resolved to adopt recommendations related to the elections process
These recommendations have been developed as a result of feedback
from the community
Call for Feedback
that happened in January and further discussions by a Board Selection Task
Force. They will be implemented on a trial basis for the 2022 election.
In service of maintaining continuity and stability in our leadership, we
resolved to make some modifications to our plans to expand the Board
You can read about the details of these resolutions on Meta. We are happy
to discuss and answer any questions on the corresponding talk pages.
Dariusz on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
*Please, note, that this email will expire at some point. Bookmark
<dariusz.jemielniak(a)fulbrightmail.org> as a more permanent contact
Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Wikimedia-l, the public mailing list of the Wikimedia community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:
WikimediaAnnounce-l mailing list -- wikimediaannounce-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org
To unsubscribe send an email to wikimediaannounce-l-leave(a)lists.wikimedia.org