According to the recent Independent Auditors' Report of the WMF , at
some point prior to the end of June 2020, an entity called the "Wikimedia
Knowledge Equity Fund" was established, and $8.723 million was transferred
to it by the WMF, in the form of an unconditional grant. The Fund is
"managed and controlled by Tides Advocacy" (a 501(c)(4) advocacy nonprofit
previously led by the WMF's current General Counsel/Board Secretary, who
served as CEO, Board Secretary, and Treasurer there). Given that a Google
search for "Wikimedia Knowledge Equity Fund" yields zero results prior to
the release of the report, it is clear that the WMF kept this significant
move completely secret for over five months, perhaps over a year. The
Report FAQ additionally emphasizes that the WMF "has no right of return to
the grant funds provided, with the exception of unexpended funds."
The WMF unilaterally and secretly transferred nearly $9 million of movement
funds to an outside organization not recognized by the Affiliations
Committee. No mention of the grant was made in any Board resolutions or
minutes from the relevant time period. The amount was not mentioned in the
public annual plan, which set out rather less than this amount for the
entire grantmaking budget for the year. No application was made through any
of the various Wikimedia grants processes. No further information has been
provided on the administration of this new Fund, or on the text of the
I am appalled.
-- Yair Rand
As many of you know, Katherine Maher, the ED of the Wikimedia Foundation,
will be stepping down next month. Her last day is April 15.
While Katherine will continue to be a part of our movement, we wanted to
find a way to celebrate her and send her off. We’ll be putting together a
video montage of farewell wishes from the movement. For anyone that would
like to participate, you can record a short video with your message for
Katherine via your phone or computer by going to the Tribute webpage .
Please keep your message under 30 seconds! The deadline to submit a video
is Monday, April 12.*
If you have questions, please reach out.
*Tribute is a third party service based in the United States, with its
<https://www.tribute.co/privacy/>. Please review their terms and privacy
policy before submitting your video. In order to submit your video, you may
need to provide Tribute with a name and email address. If you are not
comfortable submitting your real name or email, we recommend using a
username or pseudonym instead. By submitting a video, you are giving the
Foundation consent to include your segment in a video montage that will be
shared with Katherine.
Executive Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
Please, help protect the trustworthiness of the Wikimedia movement in
Slovakia - help WUG WMSVK to do a mass fundraising only after it will have
solved its governance issues (and stop it from using Wikipedia's site
notices until that).
The Wikimedia User Group Wikimedians of Slovakia (WUG WMSVK) is currently
using Sitenotice and Anonnotice of Slovak Wikipedia for local fundraising.
While I appreciate the effort for a non-WMF revenue source, it is not a
good timing right now. Currently, WUG WMSVK is still under investigation of
AffCom for their governance issues and is recovering too slowly from
repeated bylaws violations done in the past under lead of current Chair
Matej Grochal and current Vice-Chair Radoslava Semanová. Much of it is
published on . Some non-public violations will be published after a 6
months period of AffCom investigations (which is going to end sometime
before 16th of June).
The use of Sitenotice and Anonnotice is based on skwiki Village Pump
request from the Vice-Chair Dávid Štefan done 23th March 2021  and
executed by WUG WMSVK's Chair himself less than 3 day later . This is a
clear example of Conflict of Interests - Matej Grochal mixing his role of
WUG WMSVK's Chair and skwiki's admin (that part would be OK, according to
me, if the activation of site noticies would be done by some other admin).
The time for Community reaction was very little (less than 3 days). The
community reaction is very weak, but at this point clearly against such use.
I have right now contacted AffCom. But they are a volunteer based committee
with meetings once in a month, so it is probable that they would react too
slowly (like, AffCom haven't reacted until now to my message about probable
bylaws violation of WUG WMSVK from 3 weeks ago, even despite my personal
I hope for quick reaction
As a consequence of the promotion of a Google forms based survey this
week by a WMF representative, a proposal on Wikimedia Commons has been
started to ban the promotion of surveys which rely on third party
sites like Google Forms.
Launched today, but already it appears likely that this proposal will
have a consensus to support. Considering that Commons is one of our
largest Wikimedia projects, there are potential repercussions of
banning the on-wiki promotion of surveys which use Google products or
other closed source third party products like SurveyMonkey.
Feedback is most welcome on the proposal discussion, or on this list
for handling impact, solutions, recommended alternatives that already
exist, or the future role of the WMF to support research and surveys
for the WMF and affiliates by using forking open source software and
self-hosting and self-managing data "locally".
After more than one year of design, discussion, vote, iteration, and months
of legal work, I’m happy to announce that the logo of MediaWiki has been
officially changed. This applies to both the software and logo of
The old logo of MediaWiki was adopted slightly more than fifteen years ago.
This logo was featuring the nice concept of a sunflower representing
diversity, constant growth and also wilderness.
However, with years, the logo became outdated and we realized that it had
several problems, including but not limited to:
- It was a bitmap picture so it’s unusable in large sizes
- Its high details (“too realistic”) made it unusable in small sizes
- Its fixed and realistic style made it hard to have variations or
Most, virtually all, software products use a simpler and more abstract form
following basic logo design guidelines and best-practices to avoid above
(and more) issues. For example, docker, kubernetes, Ubuntu, Vue.js, React,
Apache Kafka and many more.
You can find the discussion of changing the logo in
. As you can see on this page, a lot of interesting practical and
theoretical exchanges happened, leading to the final vote and decision.
The new logo represents a collection of projects built on our engine: each
petal is one of the many wikis that we support, and the lack of an explicit
core shows that we are part of these projects, as well as and they are part
of MediaWiki. The new logo also reflects the fact that evolution never
stops, and like the petals of a flower, the development of each project,
the growth of each community built on our engine allows everyone else to
The designer of the new logo is [[User:Serhio Magpie]]. With the nice
abstraction baked-in, you can use it in large or small sizes or you can
adapt it for different usecases (there’s one already for mediawiki on
docker: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T274678). There is a logo
guideline for MediaWiki now:
We already deployed changes to mediawiki.org and landed related patches on
master, meaning from 1.36 release onwards, it’ll come with the new logo.
You can follow the work of rolling it out in
I humbly ask Wikimedians to update their wikis, for example usages on the
main pages, Wikipedia articles, templates, and more. You can use the logos
in this category on Commons. The files are already protected against upload
A big thank you to all who helped this project to finish. From designers,
community members, people who voted and discussed it intensively for
months, Wikimedia Legal for doing all the necessary work for transferring
the rights, clearing it and filing it for trademark. And many many more
I wanted to share the link to a report covering grants given out by the
Wikimedia Foundation during the 2019−2020 fiscal year. This was inspired by
the Fundraising reports that fundraising teams have prepared for many
years. The intent is to publish similar yearly reports for grantmaking
Questions and comments are welcome, preferably on the talk page.
I hope you're doing well. I would like to introduce 'Wiki for X', a
new general format for naming various sorts of Wikimedia community events
and outreach campaigns; For instance, we have 'Wiki Loves X' as such 'Wiki
for X', where X is whatever the coordinators wish to call the campaign.
This is because i believe change is necessary. I hope we can create some
brand new impactful ideas for outreach campaigns across the globe with this
new general format.
With regard to, I've organized Wiki For COVID-19
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_For_COVID-19> on Jun 01-Sep 30 2020
and I see there's another event WikiForHumanRights
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiForHumanRights> starting on
April 15-March 15 2021 to celebrate Earth Day.
Can we please give continuity to this new general format? I really
appreciate your input and opinions on this. Thank you for your
Dear friends of free knowledge and education,
On Tuesday, March 30th 2021, we will have our next Open Meeting!
Please feel welcome to join us at 4:00pm UTC.
See for your own timezone: https://zonestamp.toolforge.org/1617120044
This is the link to the meeting room:
We will discuss the shutdown of the WMF's Outreach Wiki and other topics.
Our special guest will be Mossab Banat who will talk about content in
Arab language. He is a passionate Wikipedian, physician and Wikipedia
Education Program team leader at Hashemite University in Jordan. He is
an editor and admin at Arabic Wikipedia. He also a board member at
Wikimedia medicine and associate editor at wikijournal of Medicine. He
founded a wiki club under the name of Digital Arabic Content Club at
the same university. Currently mossab works as Teaching and Research
Assistant at the Hashemite and as representative of graduate students
at the University council.
I myself will present a plan for a discussion on ethical questions.
When we use wikis for educational goals, we have not only to follow
the rules of the wiki (or an institution we work with). We want to
make sure that no harm is done - to the wiki or to the learners or
others involved. We want to give educators and others guidelines or
recommendations on how to deal with ethical questions and how to avoid
So, we hope for a large crowd at our meeting which will last for one
hour and a half.
Ziko van Dijk
Wikipedia & Education User Group (EduWiki UG)
Estimados y estimadas Wikimedistas,
Les escribo para invitarles a la segunda reunión regional de Wikimedia y
educación. Este mes será nuestra primera reunión para Latinoamérica y
tendrá lugar el 31 de marzo 2021 a las 14:00 UTC. Esta reunión es una
oportunidad para aprender y compartir proyectos, herramientas, o ideas con
la comunidad de Wikimedia y educación de la región. Será liderada en
español por Jose Reyes, Oficial de Educación de Wikimedia México, y parte
del equipo de EWOC como especialista de comunidades de la región.
En esta reunión regional de educación para Latinoamérica contaremos con las
José Reyes, sobre el estado de programas de educación en México
Novedades desde Wikimedia Argentina
Y la experiencia del programa ¡Leamos Wikipedia! en Bolivia
Si tienes otros temas, ideas, o preguntas que quieras añadir a la agenda,
puedes dejarlas aquí y trataremos de incluirlas durante la reunión.
¡Esperamos verles ahí!
José, equipo EWOC, Sailesh, y equipo de Educación de la Wikimedia Foundation
I am writing this email to invite you all to the second regional education
meeting. This month we are starting with our community members based in
the Latin America region. You can use these regional office hours as an
opportunity to learn and share your projects, tools, or ideas with the
education community from the region.
These regional education meetings are planned by the community specialists
of the EduWiki Outreach Collaborators (EWOC) and the Education team. We
are using this as an opportunity to strengthen the EduWiki network, explore
collaboration opportunities, and identify common practices or challenges
that are faced by our community members in different regions of the world.
We are launching these regional office hours as a pilot initiative to
complement our general monthly office hours, we encourage you to
participate, share your ideas, and help this become a fully community-led
Our first LatAm regional education meeting will take place on 31st March
2021 at 14:00 UTC, it will be led in Spanish by José Reyes, Education
Program Manager of Wikimedia Mexico and EWOC community specialist for the
At this LatAm regional education meeting, we will hear from:
Jose on the state of education in Mexico
Some updates from Wikimedia Argentina
And the experience of running Reading Wikipedia in the classroom program
by Wikimedistas de Bolivia.
If you have other ideas, topics, or questions you want to ask, you can add
them to the agenda here. We will try to answer them during the meeting.
We are looking forward to seeing you there!
José, EWOC community specialist team, Sailesh, and Education team
Sailesh Patnaik (He/Him)
Program Associate, Education
Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
tl;dr: https://lists-next.wikimedia.org is running mailman3. Please help us
test the software before we upgrade the real mailing list server.
Kunal and I have been working on deploying the new mailman (version 3) to
replace mailman2 serving https://lists.wikimedia.org and powering all of
our mailing lists.
Mailman2 is a dinosaur that should have gone extinct years ago. Pretty old
user interface (especially for admins and moderators), storing passwords in
plain text, lack of any database (everything is file on disk), pretty old
code, lack of ability to search in archives or send email from web
interface, running on EOL python (python2), encoding issues with non-Latin
languages, hard to redact archives, and the list goes on and on.
The new version has been developed/puppetized/tested in the Cloud and is
now ready for proper testing! Give it a try:
https://lists-next.wikimedia.org. We have created some mailing lists you
can join and can test. If you want to test the experience as a list
administrator/moderator, we can give those permissions out as well.
WARNING: All data on the lists-next server will be deleted after the test
period is over.
We will also need help updating documentation on wikis and elsewhere.
If you find any bugs/issues (yay!), please file a ticket in the
“Wikimedia-Mailing-lists” Phabricator project and we’ll check it out.
In the coming days/weeks will also import some public mailing lists from
the old version to the new version to check archive size, search index
size, and other aspects. There are other TODOs left as well like
monitoring, logging, anti-abuse, etc.
Slowly and after testing (hopefully soon), we expect to deploy this on
lists.wikimedia.org and mailing lists one by one or in batches can be
upgraded to the 21st century.
The overall task tracking this project is T52864
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T52864> and a big thank you people who
are helping this move forward.
Kunal and Amir