1 to introduce a reworked concept for Wiki-Smart Humanity ([[m:WISH]], https://w.wiki/QGD ) project page
2 to update you on the groundwork in Tatarstan and around Russia for growing local and regional public support for Wikimedia community projects, as well as discussions about funding Outreach and other local activities (since my previous report back in early April https://w.wiki/MFm )
3 to inform you of the upcoming pilot regional procurement tender initiated by one of our partners as the easiest way for them to incentivize multilingual article creation and improvement regarding important regional phenomena of Tatarstan.
Below you will find detailed description of for each point above. Comments would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I am in an uncharted territory, so very grateful to all Russia and international colleagues that help me with listening, advice and ideas. Tatar is a non-dominant language community, though in a much better shape than many others around the world - this opens my eyes to the reality that long-term preservation of currently living human languages (over 7000) and their inherent riches of cultural knowledge would require significantly more effort, funding and attention than needed to have enWP, ruWP, trWP and all others in official state languages of UN member countries (about 50) to describe everything that's currently missing. We are talking about amounts that no fundraising will ever bring - something that can only be achieved by staying true to the powerful Wikimedia Vision and aspiring to win the hearts of our existing and potential volunteers for them to be ready and willing to help us with something much more precious than money.
Farhad Fatkullin - Фархад Фаткуллин http://sikzn.ru/ Тел.+79274158066 / skype:frhdkazan / Wikipedia:frhdkazan / Wikidata:Q34036417
1) [[m:WISH]] (https://w.wiki/QGD) is community-supported (myself so far) undertaking to collect and chart initiatives that bring us closer to Wikimedia vision:
- various initiatives that help making all forms, types and categories of knowledge equally well described in Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, - as well as those that help make everyone a Wikimedian.
No individual or even a group can give equal attention and priority to everything in the world, but we can chart initiatives that help us to move towards the world where things are more equal. This started as a Meta-page for the project around regions, languages, and different topic-specific initiatives I started in Wikimedia Russia wiki, but Meta offered a great chance to bring together similar initiatives that exist elsewhere.
2) I am in Kazan (Republic of Tatarstan / Russian Federation), so that's where I start with regarding the Russia-regions' specific part of m:WISH - https://w.wiki/WDk My first priority is to make editing Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects something widely respected, so I'm working with institutional partners.
Locally I am still in touch with or contacted since last update:
* Tatarstan Presidential Administration (description https://w.wiki/WDz )
* Municipality of Kazan (description https://w.wiki/MFH / stats by Wikimedia projects https://w.wiki/JZh in Russian)
* Tatarstan Tourism board (description https://w.wiki/WDD / lists https://w.wiki/WDC )
* Tatarstan Investment Promotion Agency (description https://w.wiki/MFL / articles for creation list https://w.wiki/PSU ) and
* Tatarstan Ministry for Culture (proposal in Russian https://w.wiki/R7g)
Russia's Wikimedians helped me in reaching out to Moscow Trade and Industry Chamber Committee on cross-regional and international cooperation, as well as National Tourism Union - I spoke about Wikimedia opportunities for growing international awareness about regional realities (https://w.wiki/Qht in Russian) at their joint Online meeting on "Tourism post COVID-19" https://mostpp.ru/guilds_news/budet-li-turizm-posle-covid-eksperty-obsudili… - very much interested to see how Tatarstan project will evolve to learn and copy
3) We've advanced most with Tatarstan Investment Development Agency (TIDA)
TIDA has English-speaking staff with global exposure (came across Wikipedia before), the head of the Agency has an MBA from UK, and she happens to know and trust me with interpreting various important events for over 10 years.
* March 19 in-person meeting https://w.wiki/WEP to present the idea https://w.wiki/MFL
* Issues discussed
- developing articles for creation lists and Wikidata element creation for them first in agency specialization area, then to cover all phenomena of importance in Tatarstan
- 3+8 target languages for TIDA
- presentations, training session to staff and various stakeholders and WiR-type ongoing consulting
- ways to prepare the ground to have targeted Tatarstan Presidential or Government grants to local Wikimedia community, to avoid Wikimedian-in-Residence positions (complicated for TIDA and other agencies) and otherwise available procurement tenders (perceived low efficiency due to too much red tape and legal complexity vs. Wikipedia's strict policy compliance requirements for content)
* current Wikidata based multilingual (3+8) priority articles for creation list https://w.wiki/PSU
WHERE WE ARE:
TIDA will be announcing a pilot public procurement tender for multilingual Wikipedia content creation (at this stage Tatar, Russian, possibly allow for English) any day now. It's expected to be organized at Tatarstan public procurement entity's https://goszakupki.tatarstan.ru/eng/ (CC-BY 4.0) dedicated procurement portal http://portal-zakupok.tatar in line with Russian Federation Public Procurement Law (FZ 44). It's expected to amount for RUB 1 million (USD13900) & open to bidding for by any legal entity or private proprietor that would like to apply.
* Full text of Federal Law 44 Inofficial English translation at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Antimonopoly_Service portal - https://en.fas.gov.ru/netcat_files/File/44-FZ%20eng.pdf
HOW DID WE GET THERE:
1 https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikidata_Map_November_2019_Huge.png - we need to get whole of the map bright and info available in all languages.
2 TIDA is interested to help with Tatarstan, would like to advance with small trial steps, being guided by those with experience and readiness to help them. They are capable and comfortable to organize a procurement contract first, meanwhile observing how others work on topics in the area they feel comfortable with
3 I am keeping Wikimedia Russia informed of all my contacts and progress, so during April 2 Online Meeting https://w.wiki/LsZ WMRU director Vladimir Medeyko https://w.wiki/WFi stated that our partnership or its individual experienced members should take part in TIDA-originated and other similar regional procurement procedures
4 Once TIDA got the approval to initiate procurement (approvals by Tatarstan Ministry of Finance, then Prime Minister, then President of the Republic, May 29, communicate to [wikimedia-ru] Russian-language list https://w.wiki/W7q & English-language Telegram group https://t.me/WikimediaGeneral/15582 ), I inquired with Wikimedia Russia colleagues and identified three respected editors from Russian Wikipedia (that have extensive experience with Paid editing and disclosing COI), who then agreed with my request to take part in the upcoming bidding procedure & provide a detailed response to preliminary request by TIDA:
* Anna Biryukova - https://w.wiki/WEZ
* Dmitry Erokhin - https://w.wiki/WEa
* Dmitry Rozhkov - https://w.wiki/WEb
I was unable to identify previous Wikimedia experience (and thus templates) for large scale cross-project and multilanguage declaration of Paid Editing & disclosure of possible Conflicts of Interest, as well as providing for Community Oversight of such projects, so I'm trying my best to keep the caravan moving whilst assuring everybody is informed and feels in control.
TIDA and others agreed with my request that:
1 / Project is advancing stage-by-stage (first only Russian and Tatar, possibly some English)
2 / We do things publicly, including open statements on mandatory compliance with sourcing and other Wikipedia quality standards in the tendering procedure
3 / I keep Russia & International Wikimedia Community informed at all stages
4 / When preparing tender documentation, TIDA analyses links to specific policies that I provided them with in the project description, experienced Wikipedia editors' comments and other available experience
5 / I don't take part in either preparation or the tendering process to avoid COI as both initiator and an acquaintance of various parties, and my role of impartial communicator (3),
6 / As an interested party (citizen of Kazan, Tatarstan & Russia, as well as project initiator who wants to see this experience then scale globally), I am ready and willing to consult all parties, and open to engaging at the later stages (article analysis, improvement, translation, Wikidata Elements or Commons categorization etc.)
* I was informed that Russian Government Procurement Law does NOT allow setting too stringent qualifications for bidding participants, so the process will only set content qualification criteria. Keeping in mind how these can be interpreted by those without any prior Wikipedia experience (let's assume some copyrighting or PR company is willing to bid), I asked our partner to be ready that they might end up with a contractor who is unable to prepare content in line with target language Wikipedia communities' policies, practices and other expectations. TIDA seems to understand this and is willing to mitigate this possible outcome by breaking the process into stages, for necessary improvements to be done at later stages. I also calmed them down that whoever wins the bidding is better be ready to play well, as this case will most likely end up at the radar of Russia's and international Mass media, might be investigated and then forever described in Wikipedia.
* I will post the link to this on English-speaking Facebook groups and Telegram channels of Wikimedia movement
* I will inform respective Wikipedia language section's Village pumps once procurement contract details are out (Russian and Tatar for certain, possibly English).
* Meanwhile, I start hearing similar interest from Tatarstan's Tourism Board (to be continued)
-------- Пересылаемое сообщение --------
30.05.2020, 15:26, "Фархад Фаткуллин / Farhad Fatkullin" <frhd(a)yandex.com>:
Dear Richard and WREN colleagues,
I have good news to share and a request for comment - one of my counterparts in Tatarstan receiving regional department of finance approval for funding Wikipedia related services via tendering state procurement contract in line with Russian regulations.
Details below, grateful for any advice.
Farhad Fatkullin - Фархад Фаткуллин http://sikzn.ru/ Тел.+79274158066 / skype:frhdkazan / Wikipedia:frhdkazan / Wikidata:Q34036417
We will start with them by making sure that https://w.wiki/SBF list entries (plus a few more Wikidata entities to be created) are equally well developed and sourced in Tatar, Russian and English, after which the intent is to venture into other domains (images, data, etc.) and 8 more languages of initial interest to them.
I'm now thinking on how to structure all this in a way that our first engagement with the regional government entity is seen as a mutual success, as this is an important step to get backing of Tatarstan President necessary to have local GLAMs and Education entities more willing to consider cooperation with Wikimedia.
In parallel, we are discussing a WiR position for training their staff, organizing events for their local and foreign partners, and moving their investments portal to CC-BY.
I seem to be the only experienced local Wikimedian to be both active internationally and proficient in regional language (Tatar), so I am still undecided if I should concentrate on getting local partners happy or, instead of doing the raw writing and sourcing work they are ready to pay for, I better concentrate on making sure global Wikimedia community is comfortable with this activity. I understand that myself and other Wikimedia Russia members serving as eyes to assure material meets Wikipedia and wider Wikimedia principles and policies would be good, with international oversight from outside of Russia likely being an important component as well.
On top of this, I am also talking to Tourism, Youth Affairs and Culture departments, as well as Office of the President for their Tatar language related initiatives, was recently invited to join an Advisory Committee on Preservation and Development of Tatar language.
-------- Конец пересылаемого сообщения --------
Given the large reserves that the WMF carries, and the savings from
cancelling events such as Wikimania 2020, I would have thought that the WMF
was one organisation that could afford to pause its fundraising for a few
months. At least in countries where the economy is in freefall.
In a few months time lots of people will still be in a financial mess. But
the large number of people who are currently going to be worried about
their financial future will hopefully be divided into those who have kept
their jobs. or got new ones and those who were right to be worried.
Hopefully some of those who come through this financially OK will be in a
position to donate.
On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 11:25, <wikimedia-l-request(a)lists.wikimedia.org>
> Send Wikimedia-l mailing list submissions to
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Wikimedia-l digest..."
> Today's Topics:
> 1. Annoying ads (John Erling Blad)
> 2. Re: Annoying ads (Benjamin Ikuta)
> 3. Re: Annoying ads (Robert Fernandez)
> 4. Re: Annoying ads (Pierre-Yves Beaudouin)
> 5. Re: Annoying ads (Nick Wilson (Quiddity))
> 6. Re: Annoying ads (Samuel Klein)
> 7. Re: Annoying ads (Paulo Santos Perneta)
> 8. Re: Annoying ads (Paulo Santos Perneta)
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 16:55:50 +0200
> From: John Erling Blad <jeblad(a)gmail.com>
> To: Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>
> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] Annoying ads
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> Often I surf Wikipedia without being logged in, and so I did right now. I
> got the usual banners, but this time they popped up repeatedly in several
> locations. This quickly gets extremely annoying, and I find it unwise.
> Create one banner, and stick with that. Several banners are simply way over
> the top.
I am writing to share some good news! After two years of brainstorming and
planning, our instructional website in Arabic is out! This is yet another
step for Wikimedia Israel in developing instructional tools.
We’re thrilled to introduce Wiki Warsha ويكي ورشة <http://wikiwarsha.org/>!
Wikiwarsha.org <http://wikiwarsha.org/> is a multimedia instructional
website designed to introduce Wikipedia to Arabic readers, to invite new
editors to write and edit content on Arabic Wikipedia, to assist teachers
in school activities, and instructors in editing workshops.
Warsha is the Arabic word for ‘workshop’, the website includes short
instructional films, texts and images and is divided into 13 informative
and instructional lessons:
Wikipedia homepage structure
About Wikipedia articles
Sign in to a registered account
Create a userpage
Create a new article
Edit an article
Formatting the article
Request edits approval on Arabic Wikipedia
Adding internal and external links
In addition to those lessons, the website contains informative sections
about copyright issues, FAQs, good article criteria, and talk pages, all in
order to facilitate understanding how Wikipedia communities function.
For further details and info:
Bekriah Mawasi [[user: bks-WMIL]]
I would like to share with you some updates on Wikimedia Foundation Board
governance, concerning board composition, annual planning, and more.
The past few weeks and months have been difficult for many of us as
COVID-19 changes our schedules and lives, but we are being really true to
the vision of “the world in which every single human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge”—on the whole the visits to Wikimedia projects
have increased by more than 30% over the past month. It is impressive that
the volunteer communities continue to produce the information that informs
everyone through graphs and data seen by millions and careful synthesis of
the medical and administrative facts. Wikimedia volunteers’ work is present
in top stories on the novel coronavirus. We volunteers do this despite the
need to tend to home chores, take care of kids and the elderly, probably
feeling depressed or fearing for our jobs, economy, health and the lives of
relatives and friends all over the world.
In these circumstances, it may seem odd to be hearing about board
governance updates, but those are still important, for the long-term
thriving of our movement. I joined the Board because I wanted to explore
ways of improving understanding between the Foundation and the communities,
and to help the trustees provide what was needed to our communities. No
Board will ever do this perfectly, and I know, as do we all, that there
have been occasions in the long years of the movement on which the Board
had not supported the Foundation and communities in the ways we all hoped
and needed. We as Board members want to play our part in building a
Wikimedia that will sustain our mission far into the future. Please forgive
the length of this message—it is a lot of things to share in one letter.
== Designing a better Board for Wikimedia ==
One of the most significant initiatives the Board worked on collectively
over the last year was to run an official Board governance review. In large
part this review was a response to direct requests for clarification from
the community over several years. I will explain a few of the
recommendations that came from this review, and the changes we are making
based on these recommendations.
In early 2019, the Foundation Board Chair and Executive Director
commissioned Board Veritas (named Taylor Strategic Partnerships at the
time) to review how the Board might more effectively support the goals of
the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia movement. Board Veritas was
chosen because of their expertise in the governance of U.S. nonprofits with
global operations and internationally diverse boards, as well as their
background in developing strategic comparisons with other not-for-profit
The resulting recommendations  centered on increasing the Board’s
effectiveness in fulfilling its governance responsibilities, including
improving the process for selecting Board members; developing greater
clarity around Board roles, responsibilities and accountabilities; better
leveraging the talents and skills of trustees in service to the
Foundation’s mission and strategic goals; improving trust and interactions
between the Board, the ED/CEO, and staff; and strengthening strategy and
The Board began taking steps to respond to the recommendations right away,
at a special meeting in July 2019 . At that meeting, we lengthened the
terms of Board officer and committee chair positions from one year to three
years, and we tasked the Board Governance Committee with the preparation of
proposals for how to implement additional changes.
We will have more to share in the near future when the Board will be
engaging broadly on the outcomes, but the first big planned change is
expanding the number of seats on the Board, from 10 to 16. This includes
increasing the current number of seats sourced from the wider Wikimedia
community (including affiliates) by three, for a total of eight
community-sourced seats. The majority of the Board and I feel that this
overall growth is necessary for us to increase our capacity to meet the
governance needs of the Foundation—and better reflect the growing and
diverse communities we serve with the increased number of voices from
== Community-selected Board seats ==
The voting process to select nominees for three Community-selected Board
seats was intended to open candidate submissions soon. In normal
circumstances this selection process occurs every three years and would run
this month. However, we feel that the widespread global impact from the
ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting strain on resources make it
unwise and unreasonable to continue the voting process on its planned
The selection process requires extensive effort from community members (to
read proposals, ask questions, be engaged and informed, and of course
vote); candidates (to write statements and engage with community
questions); the Elections Committee (to run the process, including
responding to questions and engaging across languages); Foundation staff
(to support the Elections Committee in running the process and coordinating
the work across all stakeholders); and the Board (to make high-level
decisions and follow the process, also across languages). Given the public
health crisis and the many extraordinary demands on every person’s time and
attention, we believe we can not expect or require the level of sustained
effort and engagement needed to hold a successful trustee selection.
We do not want to delay the trustee selection process any longer than we
have to, and we will continue to evaluate whether it is appropriate to
proceed based on the best information available to us. It takes time to
plan and run the selection, so once the postponed process can resume we
will still need to work out the best timing for it. It does not currently
seem likely that the process will resume before August 2020, but we are
committed to completing it before the end of June 2021.
In order to ensure sustained community representation on the Board, we are
extending the terms of the three community-selected trustees currently
occupying those seats (María, Dariusz, and James) for up to a year until we
are all ready to run the postponed process. I would like to thank them for
their service to our communities and dedication to our shared mission.
Note: The selection process is mandated by the Bylaws to happen every three
years according to a schedule and process set by the Board of Trustees. The
process last occurred in 2017, so if we determine that it is best to
postpone the process past 2020, this will require a modification of the
Bylaws. The necessary modification of the Bylaws will be part of
forthcoming recommendations as we learn more about when we can all dedicate
the necessary time to the selection process.
== Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan timeline ==
The Wikimedia Foundation Annual Plan would normally be completed in April
and posted for your feedback in May. This year, the Board has provisionally
approved an extended and revised timeline for annual planning in order for
us to remain sensitive to global economic conditions and revenue
We are also adjusting the timelines and expectations for our affiliates
during this time. Our affiliates and user groups hold a lot of in-person
events and are transitioning some of their work online and having to
postpone or cancel some events entirely. We are all having to rethink the
next year and recognize that the adjustment is going to take time. This
pandemic is a changing situation and will affect parts of the globe
differently over time. We need to remain flexible during this time of
There will be future updates on annual plan progress from the Foundation,
but we wanted to let you know as soon as we could that the usual timelines
== Board meeting minutes & resolutions ==
Some of you have asked for minutes and resolutions from our recent
meetings, as we are behind in publishing these notes. I apologize that we
fell behind in this; once we were behind, it became harder to catch up, and
we have only now been able to read and approve them all. The minutes were
posted and you will find them on the Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki
. I shall update on this thread when they are all up.
Voting online to approve the minutes is not always possible, so we are
approving them during our meetings. The timeline of the expected publishing
of the minutes was too ambitious, and this would need to change. Amanda
Keton, our General Counsel and Secretary of the Board, will see to adopting
the practices needed and having support in place to help us review more
== To recap ==
* In early 2019, the Foundation Board Chair and Executive Director hired
Board Veritas to conduct a Board Governance Review, and we are sharing the
resulting recommendations .
* We are planning to expand the number of seats on the Board, from 10 to
16. This includes increasing the current number of seats sourced from the
wider Wikimedia community (including affiliates) by three, for a total of
eight community-sourced seats. This change will require changing the
Bylaws, especially regarding the selection pathway for the additional
seats. We plan to present the Board’s vision and hold a community
discussion as part of the process for the Bylaws change.
* We are postponing the trustee selection process by up to a year because
of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic by up to a year, the resulting strain on
resources, and the added burden to our communities. And we shall be
modifying the Bylaws to allow for this revised timeline in the selection
process, if needed.
* We are approving an extended timeline for the Wikimedia Foundation Annual
* And we are posting the remaining backlog of trustee meeting minutes and
resolutions. After they are all up, I shall update on this thread.
As these are a lot of topics to talk about, please post your
thoughts/comments on the talk page of my message on Meta:
. It would be easier to have a structured discussion there, rather than
dozens of emails in this thread. Depending on interest and our shared
situation we might hold a video “town hall” to discuss more details of some
of these plans with you all.
Also we are currently working on an update to our 2016 statement on
community culture in order to reinforce our commitment to safety on our
projects. We look forward to sharing it with you in May.
Please take care of yourselves.
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to the forthcoming September
release of detailed guidance that will allow Community members to assess
their ability to safely host events and activities during the current
I’d like to respond to some of your comments:
"It looks like your email was written to include a place where you want to
gather this feedback."
-- Feedback will be gathered on the guidance Meta talk page, which will
reside in the Grants portal.
"I'm assuming we're talking only about local events of limited size
(probably a different risk profile applies for larger and/or
-- The guidance will address events of all sizes.
"As an organizer, it is nice to have clarity where possible. Crisp
definitions that translate well, are very helpful."
-- Agreed. The guidance will be reviewed for clarity, ease of use and ease
"I can't imagine an identical set of constraints to apply across countries."
-- The guidance will include a host of assessment criteria that will allow
Community members to evaluate the specific characteristics of their
proposed event/activity, including location.
"I'm confident that you already reached out to many affiliates to get their
input ealy on."
-- Yes. We will be evaluating and testing the guidance with selected
affiliates prior to release on Meta.
Lydia Hamilton (she/her)
Director of Operations
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 2:41 PM Anusha Alikhan <aalikhan(a)wikimedia.org>
> *From: *effe iets anders <effeietsanders(a)gmail.com>
> *Subject: **Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Covid-19] An update on in-person
> *Date: *August 10, 2020 at 8:43:04 PM EDT
> *To: *Wikimedia Mailing List <wikimedia-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>
> *Reply-To: *effeietsanders(a)gmail.com, Wikimedia Mailing List <
> Thank you Katherine for this update,
> I'm much looking forward to a more nuanced policy. I think it is clear that
> the standing policy (no in-person activities of any size, around the world)
> is past its expiration date and can't realistically be maintained any
> longer in its broad interpretation. With the current policy, we're risking
> people just ignoring it when they feel no legal obligation to follow it.
> I hope that we can have an updated policy to provide a little more
> flexibility sooner than later, even if that means that it is a first phase
> of making things more nuanced. For example, we could carve out exceptions
> for countries where there is a clear 'safe' situation (even if we all know
> this is a very relative thing). Wiki Loves Monuments is about to start, and
> it would be nice if we could make sure that updates can be considered in
> the planning as much as possible - especially as this is happening in many
> different countries, and traditionally mostly outdoors anyway.
> It looks like your email was written to include a place where you want to
> gather this feedback. Did a link go missing?
> For what it's worth, I do have some thoughts about such an updated policy,
> from the viewpoint as someone who would have to comply. I'm assuming we're
> talking only about local events of limited size (probably a different risk
> profile applies for larger and/or travel-involved activities). I'm
> obviously no epidemiologist or public health policy expert, and I suspect
> many of these are already front and center in your thinking:
> - As an organizer, it is nice to have clarity where possible. Crisp
> definitions that translate well, are very helpful.
> - Given how different the public health situations are around the world, I
> can't imagine an identical set of constraints to apply across countries.
> - Acceptance is important. For example, I know there are a large number of
> countries where the wearing of masks is considered an accepted good
> practice, while there are other countries where this is seen as counter
> productive (with a heavier reliance on distance, for example). I know this
> is a touchy subject in the US
> - I wouldn't expect the WMF to interpret each country's public health
> policy, at the risk of being always behind. Carving out exceptions for
> countries that are notorious for not developing responsible policy, seems
> fair though (although that seems an interesting problem for the
> communications department...).
> - Reduce bureaucracy to a minimum. Some may be needed to help people
> through the thinking process, but it's also a deterrent to actually follow
> the policy.
> The balance between simplicity and nuance seems a hard one to strike. A
> bright line would be great, but that most likely conflicts with the
> As so many governments are experiencing, it must be terribly complex to
> strike a right balance between requiring all recommendations to be followed
> and actually get people to endorse and support such requirements. The WMF
> only has limited leverage, and I would hate it to see people actively
> looking for loopholes. Because we both know that if anyone can find them,
> it's a Wikimedian. I would strongly recommend that the policy is such, that
> people will want to follow it, even if they don't have to.
> I can appreciate the underlying thought pattern that seems to underpin your
> mentioned focus: help people assess, inform about best practices and
> suggest alternatives. Those feel like helpful building blocks. I hope that
> the various communities will share many responsible ways as they get
> creative with organizing within those guidelines. I'm confident that you
> already reached out to many affiliates to get their input ealy on.
> (member of the Wiki Loves Monuments international team, but responding in a
> personal capacity)
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:31 PM Katherine Maher <kmaher(a)wikimedia.org>
> Hi all,
> If this were a more predictable year, Wikimedians from around the world
> would be together this weekend at Wikimania Bangkok 2020, in the warm
> hospitality of our remarkable Wikimedia ESEAP hosts. We’d be preparing for
> a weekend of inspiring presentations, serendipitous meetings, and
> fascinating conversations with Wikimedians from dozens of projects,
> languages, and communities.
> I miss these moments of togetherness, and seeing people in person. Even
> though we’re mostly known as an online community, in-person events have
> always been part of the fabric of the Wikimedia movement. They are how we
> have built working partnerships, friendships, and the skills that support
> these remarkable projects over the years.
> In March, I sent messages out to the movement, asking grantees to postpone
> or cancel their in-person events until the World Health Organization
> declares the COVID-19 pandemic over. Today, that seems wistfully optimistic
> -- that we’d have this all wrapped up in six months! As we enter August the
> COVID-19 pandemic is still with us and seems likely to be part of our lives
> for some time to come.
> *== Safer events guidance ==*
> As we all learn to adapt and live with this new reality, we at the
> Foundation want to offer more adaptable support for Wikimedia convenings.
> We're already improving support for online events, but as different
> countries and regions start to offer more flexible guidance for in-person
> gatherings and travel, we expect to see more community interest for
> resuming in-person meetings (with appropriate precautions). We want to
> respond to this interest with tools and resources to help you assess your
> options, including whether your community can more safely host an in-person
> Wikimedia event.
> We are developing some tools to support your decision-making process,
> including a risk assessment calculator, to help you evaluate your own
> situation. *Importantly, this will also include guidance on when not to
> hold an event.* This tool is developed in a way that should be flexible to
> use for all community members, regardless of your country and the size of
> your event.
> We’re also creating a checklist of precautions, including resources with
> tips and suggestions for how to prepare, evaluate, and follow up on any
> event. Finally, we’re working to create a list of suggested types of
> events, such as walking tours, photo hunts, and community picnics, all of
> which can help meet the demand for safer in-person gatherings.
> *== Your feedback ==*
> Living through a global pandemic of this scale is new for all of us -- and
> the best way to navigate this change is with the support of your community.
> In that spirit, the events team will start reaching out to affiliate
> leaders and potential grantees next week for their feedback and advice on
> these proposed resources. We’re asking for your help shaping these tools to
> make them as useful as possible for our diverse global community, with all
> the varied contexts our movement works in.
> I look forward to sharing more about these tools, as well as additional
> information about event support and grants toward the end of August.
> Until then, please stay safe and take care -- I look forward to the next
> time we see each other again.
> Katherine Maher (she/her)
> Wikimedia Foundation <https://wikimediafoundation.org/>
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> New messages to: Wikimedia-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines and
> New messages to: Wikimedia-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <
Join the Research Team at the Wikimedia Foundation  for their monthly
Office hours on 2020-09-01 at 16.00-17.00 (UTC).
Through these office hours, we aim to make ourselves more available to
answer some of the research related questions that you as Wikimedia
volunteer editors, organizers, affiliates, staff, and researchers face in
your projects and initiatives (*).
To participate, join the video-call via this Wikimedia-meet link . There
is no set agenda - feel free to add your item to the list of topics in the
etherpad  (You can do this after you join the meeting, too.), otherwise
you are welcome to also just hang out. More detailed information (e.g.
about how to attend) can be found here .
Started in the beginning of 2020 as an experiment , after the first 6
editions we have evaluated the scope and format of the Research office
hours. In order to decrease barriers of accessibility and to facilitate
more direct interaction, we have switched the format from IRC to video
call. We will re-evaluate the current format at the end of the year. We
would also be glad to hear your feedback and/or comments.
(*) Some example cases we hope to be able to support you in:
You have a specific research related question that you suspect you
should be able to answer with the publicly available data and you don’t
know how to find an answer for it, or you just need some more help with it.
For example, how can I compute the ratio of anonymous to registered editors
in my wiki?
You run into repetitive or very manual work as part of your Wikimedia
contributions and you wish to find out if there are ways to use machines to
improve your workflows. These types of conversations can sometimes be
harder to find an answer for during an office hour, however, discussing
them can help us understand your challenges better and we may find ways to
work with each other to support you in addressing it in the future.
You want to learn what the Research team at the Wikimedia Foundation
does and how we can potentially support you. Specifically for affiliates:
if you are interested in building relationships with the academic
institutions in your country, we would love to talk with you and learn
more. We have a series of programs that aim to expand the network of
Wikimedia researchers globally and we would love to collaborate with those
of you interested more closely in this space.
You want to talk with us about one of our existing programs .
Hope to see many of you,
Martin (WMF Research Team)
with Cloud Services.
I'd trust Amir wouldn't do that but it reduces the responsibility of WMCS.
On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 at 08:56, Count Count <countvoncount123456(a)gmail.com>
> Thanks for providing another communication tool.
> Some questions:
> - Is there a reason why we are not using Wikimedia account SSO for the
> - The Terms link leads directly to the Tech Code of Conduct. Shouldn't
> it link to https://foundation.wikimedia.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use/en
> After all terms are usually more than just a Code of Conduct.
> a bit scary. It states that there is no expectation of privacy as my
> could be published at any time and that the administrators might have
> access to my username/password combination, which should not at all be
> necessary. Is that really the intent here?
> Best regards,
> Count Count
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 2:00 AM Amir Sarabadani <ladsgroup(a)gmail.com>
> > Hello,
> > Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
> > happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related
> > groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides
> > scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
> > platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
> > proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
> > infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
> > IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities
> > a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost
> > in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
> > * Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
> > * Push notification and email notification
> > * You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
> > * Proper support for sharing media
> > * Two factor authentication
> > * A proper mobile app support
> > * Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
> > * Profile pictures
> > * Ability to ping everyone with @here
> > * much much more.
> > You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone
> > can
> > make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite , the oher
> > similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". 
> > Some notes:
> > * This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a
> > of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
> > enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a
> > * As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
> > * As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public
> > covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces: https://w.wiki/AK$
> > Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
> > file a bug in the phabricator.
> >  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Social_Suite
> >  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Meet
> > Best
> > --
> > Amir (he/him)
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > Wikitech-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> Wikitech-l mailing list
Due to the current situation, there are more and more collaborations
happening online instead. and now you can see Wikimedia-related discussion
groups in Slack, Discord, Telegram, Facebook, and many more. Besides being
scattered and inaccessible to people who don't have accounts in those
platforms (for privacy reasons for example), these platforms use
proprietary and closed-source software, are outside Wikimedia
infrastructure and some harvest our personal data for profit.
IRC on freenode is a good alternative but it lacks basic functionalities of
a modern chat platform. So we created Wikimedia Chat, a mattermost instance
in Wikimedia Cloud. Compared to IRC, you have:
* Ability to scrollback and read messages when you were offline
* Push notification and email notification
* You don't need to get a cloak to hide your IP from others
* Proper support for sharing media
* Two factor authentication
* A proper mobile app support
* Ability to add custom emojis (yes, it's extremely important)
* Profile pictures
* Ability to ping everyone with @here
* much much more.
You can use Wikimedia Chat by going to https://chat.wmcloud.org, anyone can
make an account. This is part of Wikimedia Social suite , the oher
similar project is "Wikimedia Meet". 
* This is done in my volunteer capacity and has been maintained by a group
of volunteers. If you're willing to join the team (either technical or
enforcing CoC, kicking out spammers, other daily work), drop me a message.
* As a result, all messages older than 90 days get automatically deleted.
* As a Wikimedia Cloud project, all of discussions, private and public are
covered by Code of conduct in technical spaces: https://w.wiki/AK$
Hope that would be useful for you, if you encounter any technical issues,
file a bug in the phabricator.