As we have stated in our annual plan , “currently, community members
must search many pages and places to stay informed about Foundation
activities and resources.” We have worked in the past two quarters to
create a single point of entry. We call it the Wikimedia Resource Center,
and its alpha version is now live on Meta Wikimedia:
As the movement expands to include more affiliates and more programmatic
activities every year, newer Wikimedians are faced with lack of experience
in the movement and its various channels for requesting support. In order
to expand Wikimedia communities’ efforts, we want to provide easy access to
resources that support their very important work. The [[m:Wikimedia
Resource Center]] is a hub designed in response to this issue: it is
intended to evolve into a single point of entry for Wikimedians all over
the world to the variety of resources and types of staff support they may
need to develop new initiatives or also expand existing ones.
This version of the Resource Center is only the beginning. For phase two of
the project, we will enable volunteer Wikimedians to add resources
developed by other individuals or organizations to the Wikimedia Resource
Center, and in phase three, the Wikimedia Resource Center will include
features to better connect Wikimedians to other Wikimedians that can
We want to hear what you think about this prototype and our plans for it!
If you have comments about the Wikimedia Resource Center, you can submit
your feedback publicly, on the Talk Page, or privately, via a survey hosted
by a third party, that shouldn’t take you more than 4 minutes to complete.
A feedback button is on the top right corner on every page of the hub.
Looking forward to more collaborations!
Communications and Outreach Project Manager, Community Engagement
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: zppix e <megadev44s.mail(a)gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Subject: [Wikitech-l] Data centre switchover to Eqiad
To: Wikipedia mailing list <wikipedia-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>, Wikimedia
developers <wikitech-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>, Coordination of technology
deployments across languages/projects <wikitech-ambassadors@lists.
Hello, as you may or may not already know there will be a datacentre
switch back to Eqiad, WMF's main data centre, on May 3rd at approximately
14:00 UTC. For approximately 20-30 minutes you will NOT be able to save
edits to any WMF project. If you have any questions feel free to reply back
to this email, or ask on IRC on freenode channel #wikimedia-tech. If there
any major issues that occur during this time please report them to
#wikimedia-tech on freenode!
Volunteer Developer for WMF
Wikitech-l mailing list
Hello to all,
I am quite sure that many of you will attend Wikimania this summer in
I am proposing two presentations to the organizers which you might find of
The first one is about sharing and spreading the Kiwix program by the
teachers themselves in schools in Senegal:
The second one is about having my students contribute to Vikidia, working
with Wikipedia for ten years. In a nutshell, I would say that Vikidia is
still very tolerant and helpful to newcomers...
If you plan to attend as well, and are interested in these presentations,
please append your user name to the "interested attendees" list.
With my best regards
Hello my friends,
After a very productive week in Berlin and 3 days visiting our fellows from Portugal and many Portuguese universities in Lisboa, Porto and Coimbra we finally confirmed the 1st International Wikipedia Scientific Conference (2nd Brazilian edition).
That project was created by the Wiki Education Brasil last year and discussed with Wikimedia Portugal in Berlin and many other chapters.
We are finishing the composition of the international scientific committee and the general organization committee during the next weeks.
The event will be in Niterói - Rio de Janeiro organized in partnership with the Federal Fluminense University in November 8-10 2017.
To have global coverage, we will need your help to promote the conference in your country.
Our team is producing press releases and printed materials (A4 and A3) with information regarding the event and the call for papers.
Translation help will be appreciated!
Wiki Educação Brasil - User Group
Registration is now open for the ‘Celtic Knot’ – Wikipedia Language Conference<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2017> taking place Thursday 6 July 2017 at the University of Edinburgh Business School.
“If you want to know what’s important to a culture, learn their language.” Joanne Harris
The University of Edinburgh and Wikimedia UK are delighted to invite you to join us at this event<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2017> showcasing innovative approaches to open education, open knowledge and open data that support and grow Celtic and Indigenous language communities.
Announcing our keynote speakers
* Jason Evans<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2017#Keynotes> - Wikimedian in Residence at the National Library of Wales<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Expert_outreach/Wikipedian_in_Residence_at_th…>, now the longest running Wikimedia residency in the World. Jason has been responsible for implementing and leading a number of innovative projects designed to increase public and institutional engagement with Wikimedia projects. A passionate advocate for open access, he has published case studies and produced a business case on the subject, drawing on the successful implementation of open access policies at The National Library of Wales. Jason has spoken widely of the importance of the Welsh language Wikipedia and the multilingual nature of Wikidata in developing Welsh as a digital language and has recently began exploring the use of multilingual data to create Welsh language Wikipedia content.
* Professor Antonella Sorace<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2017#Keynotes> - Professor of Developmental Linguistics at the University of Edinburgh<http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/%7Eantonell/> and founding director of Bilingualism Matters<http://www.bilingualism-matters.org.uk/>. Antonella is a world leading authority on bilingualism over the lifespan and is particularly well known for her studies of exceptionally talented ("near-native") adult second language speakers; for her research on the changes ("attrition") that take place in the native language of advanced second language speakers; for her investigation of bilingual language acquisition in early and late childhood, and of the effects of bilingualism in non-linguistic domains.
Confirmed speakers also include:
* Robin Owain<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-23402054> – Wales Manager for Wikimedia UK
* Astrid Carlsen – Executive Director, Wikimedia Norge<http://www.wikimedia.no/en/about-us/>.
* Susan Ross<https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2017/01/wikimedia-uk-and-national-library-of-…> – Gaelic Wikipedian in Residence, the National Library of Scotland.
* Alex Hinojo – Executive Director, Amical Wikimedia presenting on the Catalan Language project.
The main objective for Celtic Knot 2017 is the coming together of practitioners in the same room at same time; strengthening the bonds of those working to support language communities into a 'knot' and leading into action. We welcome diverse attendees and presenters working in Celtic and Indigenous languages ranging from Wikimedians, educators, researchers, information professionals, media professionals, linguists, translators, learning technologists and more coming together to share good practice and find fruitful new collaborations to support language communities as a result of the event.
To find out more about the conference themes and how to book your place to join us in Edinburgh in July then please visit the Celtic Knot<https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2017> page. To assist with seeing areas of commonality and links between your work and the Wikimedia projects<http://thinking.is.ed.ac.uk/wir/2017/03/10/seeing-the-links-at-the-celtic-k…> you can click here<http://thinking.is.ed.ac.uk/wir/2017/03/10/seeing-the-links-at-the-celtic-k…>.
It promises to be a great event – including a panel on the ‘Politics of Language Online’, excellent papers, workshops and discussion spaces. Please feel free to forward this event to interested colleagues in your network.
If you would like to learn more then please contact me direct at ewan.mcandrew(a)ed.ac.uk<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Very best regards,
Wikimedian in Residence
Tel: 07719 330076
Subscribe to the mailing list: wikimedia(a)mlist.is.ed.ac.uk
My working hours are 10.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday.
Wikipedia Project Page for the residency: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:University_of_Edinburgh
The University of Edinburgh, Floor H (West), Argyle House, 3 Lady Lawson Street, Edinburgh, EH3 9DR.
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Forwarding a resource.
From: Jonathan Morgan <jmorgan(a)wikimedia.org>
Date: Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Subject: [Wiki-research-l] New guide for organizing Edit-a-thons at science
To: Wiki Research-l <Wiki-research-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org>
I just ran across a new-ish (Feb 17) resource for people interested in
running editathons for scientists, developed by the Simons Foundation. You
can read the blog post and download the guide in PDF form.
The guide provides a well-organized and comprehensive set of practical tips
for organizing, publicizing, and running editathons and is tuned to the
needs and interests of science SMEs.
Forwarding because I know there are many folks on this list who are
involved in this sort of work and/or could be.
Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)
Wiki-research-l mailing list
If you expect people to create accounts on Wikipedia or other projects at
an event, please read this:
There are some automated anti-sock-puppet systems that prevent people from
creating multiple accounts on the same day from the same computer or IP
address. This can be a big problem if you have lots of new editors at a
workshop, and everyone tries to create an account.
You may be able to avoid this by asking attendees to create an account in
advance (but then they have to remember to do it, and to bring their
usernames and passwords to your event). Otherwise, your best bet is to
follow the directions on Meta about getting a temporary exemption for your
Sherry Snyder (WhatamIdoing)
Community Liaison, Wikimedia Foundation
This is not the ultimate demo of the dashboard, but might help:
What would really help is having a list of questions regarding the
Dashboard, maybe in the comments of the youtube link, or as answers to this
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM, Anna Torres <de(a)wikimedia.org.ar> wrote:
> Thank you so much for all your help! +1 Jami and +1 Shani! Would be great
> if you can help us! Let's see what the Edu team has to say?
> Hugs and thanks again!
> 2017-04-17 18:53 GMT-03:00 Shani Evenstein <shani.even(a)gmail.com>:
>> I'm giving an intro to WM Israel this week. If it goes well and if the
>> Edu team @ WMF isn't planning on something similar, it would be possible to
>> give one to WM Argentina / anyone else interested.
>> On 18 Apr 2017 00:48, "Jami Mathewson" <jami(a)wikiedu.org> wrote:
>>> It sounds like it might be useful for the Education team at WMF to run
>>> something like this. Tighe/Vahid/Nichole, can you update us about whether
>>> this is somewhere on your roadmap in the near future? I am not as familiar
>>> with the P&E Dashboard as Wiki Ed's instance of the Dashboard, so I may not
>>> be the best person to do a formal tutorial about the P&E Dashboard and how
>>> it works in other languages. Let us know if you're planning to create
>>> something like this.
>>> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Mardetanha <mardetanha.wiki(a)gmail.com>
>>>> I would like also to have screen-recording if possible
>>>> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:44 AM, Yury Bulka <
>>>> setthemfree(a)privacyrequired.com> wrote:
>>>>> If such call will take place, please consider screen-recording it and
>>>>> publishing the recording (if possible).
>>>>> Jami Mathewson <jami(a)wikiedu.org> writes:
>>>>> > Anna,
>>>>> > I want to help out and offer to have a video call with you, but I'm
>>>>> > for vacation for the next 1.5 weeks. If you'd like to set something
>>>>> up for
>>>>> > the first week of May, I'm happy to meet with you! Otherwise, here's
>>>>> > documentation on Meta that may help you set it up.
>>>>> > 
>>>>> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programs_%26_Events_Dashboar
>>>>> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM, Anna Torres <de(a)wikimedia.org.ar>
>>>>> >> Dear all,
>>>>> >> Hope this email finds you well :) I am reaching to you as here in
>>>>> >> Wikimedia Argentina we are havieng problems to implement the
>>>>> Dashboard in
>>>>> >> our Education program.
>>>>> >> As we would like to use it, would be great if someone could give us
>>>>> >> workshop? :)
>>>>> >> Any interested?
>>>>> >> Thanks in advance and keep doing great job!
>>>>> >> --
>>>>> >> Anna Torres Adell
>>>>> >> Directora Ejecutiva
>>>>> >> *A.C. Wikimedia Argentina*
>>>>> >> _______________________________________________
>>>>> >> education-collab mailing list
>>>>> >> education-collab(a)lists.wikimedia.org
>>>>> >> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/education-collab
>>>>> Education mailing list
>>>> Education mailing list
>>> Jami Mathewson
>>> Educational Partnerships Manager
>>> Wiki Education Foundation
>>> jami(a)wikiedu.org <jami(a)wikiedfoundation.org>
>>> User:Jami (Wiki Ed) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jami_(Wiki_Ed)>
>>> @WikiEducation <https://twitter.com/WikiEducation>
>>> education-collab mailing list
>> Education mailing list
> Anna Torres Adell
> Directora Ejecutiva
> *A.C. Wikimedia Argentina*
> education-collab mailing list
Community Capacity Manager, Wikipedia Education Program
I want to help out and offer to have a video call with you, but I'm leaving
for vacation for the next 1.5 weeks. If you'd like to set something up for
the first week of May, I'm happy to meet with you! Otherwise, here's the
documentation on Meta that may help you set it up.
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM, Anna Torres <de(a)wikimedia.org.ar> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Hope this email finds you well :) I am reaching to you as here in
> Wikimedia Argentina we are havieng problems to implement the Dashboard in
> our Education program.
> As we would like to use it, would be great if someone could give us a
> workshop? :)
> Any interested?
> Thanks in advance and keep doing great job!
> Anna Torres Adell
> Directora Ejecutiva
> *A.C. Wikimedia Argentina*
> education-collab mailing list
Educational Partnerships Manager
Wiki Education Foundation
User:Jami (Wiki Ed) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jami_(Wiki_Ed)>
Hope you all are doing well. It was so great to meet many of you in person
in Berlin. I was hoping some of you would share your takeaways on education
for the April Issue of "This Month in Education." If you are willing to
share, could you send me the following by email to nsaad(a)wikimedia.org:
Your highlight (a few sentences to a paragraph max)
You can also put it directly into the article in the newsroom (where you
can also see an example):
Reach out if you have any questions!
WMF | Education Program Manager
user: NSaad (WMF)
*Want to talk about the Wikipedia Education Program?*
Schedule a meeting: https://calendly.com/nsaad-1