We have been working on a blog post to feature the Wikipedia Education
Collaborative meeting which was held on November 1.
Here is the link:
The Education team wanted to document the meeting and to tell everyone
about the great work you do and some information about how this movement
started! Now the community will be looking forward to see more updates and
more success stories coming from this awesome group that I was very happy
to meet 1 month ago in Edinburgh.
Keep up your great work supporting Wikipedia in Education!
Communications Intern, Wikipedia Education Program
We will publish the Education newsletter next week by the end of November.
Is the Education Program expanding to new courses/universities in your
country this term? Is the number of students growing? Do you have students
with high progress or have developed some featured content on Wikipedia?
Other success stories do you have?
If yes, and you want everyone to see your success just contact me. You can
post your stories directly to The Newsroom
<http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Newsletter/Newsroom> or just
send me any links, notes or reports I can get the stories from and I will
write it. The newsletter posts are not very long, 5-10 lines will be great.
Also if you have any photos to be published with your stories that will
make the newsletter look amazing!
Please let me know if you have any related questions. I will be glad to
reply and work together with you at any time.
Communications Intern, Wikipedia Education Program
We're sending out a call for new Grant Advisory Committee (GAC) members!
The GAC are community volunteers who are explicitly invited to review
and evaluate grant proposals made in the Wikimedia Foundation Project and
Event Grants Program, and offer advice to both grant applicants and the
We review a good number of education-focused proposals each year. It would
be great to have more experts in this area on the committee!
Read all about it on the Candidates page. The deadline for signing up
for this round is December 30, 2014, so be sure to step forward before
then. New members will be inducted by the middle of January 2015.
Please help this message reach as many people as possible, by relaying it
to appropriate lists and village pumps.
And many thanks to our current and former GAC members!
 _everyone_ is implicitly invited!
Project & Event Grants
Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>
John Andersson, 10/11/2014 20:48:
> we have recently started providing them with research assignment for
> students' thesis work (to work on for either during 10 weeks (Bachelor)
> or 20 weeks (Master)). As a small pilot I gave a presentation about this
> a couple of weeks ago and we have seen a great interest in this
> opportunity from staff and student
Interesting! But, sorry for the stupid questions, how can this work? Are
you talking of thesis as in final work for the degree? Does it mean the
student can decide the thesis on their own? What does the staff have to
do with it? How are external entities allowed to propose theses?
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thesis#Sweden are not particularly
useful to explain.
In Italy the bachelor/master thesis is in practice proposed by the
prof./teacher and the university staff has no say whatsoever in it. (Let
alone the state; that would even be against the constitution, probably.)
The International Conference on Semantic Web Business and Innovation
The University of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland (HES-SO
October 7-9, 2015
All registered papers will be included in SDIWC Digital Library
The proposed conference on the above theme will be held at he University
of Applied Sciences and Arts Western Switzerland (HES-SO Valais-Wallis)
on October 7-9, 2015 which aims to enable researchers build connections
between different digital applications.
The conference welcomes papers on the following (but not limited to)
*Semantic Web and Linked Data
- Database, IR, NLP and AI technologies for the Semantic Web
- Geospatial Semantic Web
- Information Extraction from unstructured data
- Information visualization of Semantic Web data and Linked Data
- Internet of things
- Languages, tools, and methodologies for representing and managing
Semantic Web data
- Linked open data
- Management of Semantic Web data and Linked Data
- Ontology engineering and ontology patterns for the Semantic Web
- Ontology modularity, mapping, merging, and alignment
- Ontology-based data access
- Privacy and Security
- Query and inference over data streams
- Search, query, integration, and analysis on the Semantic Web
- Semantic business process management
- Semantic Sensor networks
- Semantic technologies for mobile platforms
- Semantic Web and Linked Data for Cloud Environments
- Semantic Web, Ontologies
- Social networks and processes on the Semantic Web
- Supporting multi-linguality in the Semantic Web
- User Interfaces and interacting with Semantic Web data and Linked Data
*Business and Innovation in Semantic Web
- Business Model Innovation
- Business Models and E-Commerce
- Business Technology Intelligence
- Challenges for change in semantic services
- Collaborative improvement and innovation
- E-Business Applications and Software
- E-commerce Technology Adoption
- E-commerce, E-Business Strategies
- E-tailing and Multi-Channel selling
- Evolution of Business model for Semantic Web Applications
- High-tech marketing
- Implementation strategies for responsible innovation
- Innovation for E-Business
- Innovative methods and tools for products and services
- Practices and Cases in E-Commerce
- Production of Knowledge Economy
- Technology and Business Transformation
- Technology strategies
- The Latest Trends in Linked Data
- Web Advertising and Web Publishing
- Web and Mobile Applications
Researchers are encouraged to submit their work electronically. All
papers will be fully refereed by a minimum of two specialized referees.
Before final acceptance, all referees comments must be considered.
The Submission is open
Notification of Acceptance: 6 weeks from the submission date
Camera Ready Submission: September 14, 2015
Registration Deadline: September 14, 2015
Conference Dates: October 7-9, 2015