REMINDER: This meeting starts in 30 minutes.
On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM, Lena Traer <ltraer(a)wikimedia.org> wrote:
The next Wikimedia Foundation metrics and activities meeting will take
place on Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:00 PM UTC (11 AM PDT). The IRC
channel is #wikimedia-office on irc.freenode.net
, and the meeting will be
broadcast as a live YouTube stream.
During the July metrics meeting, we'll hear from staff and outside
speakers about how Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement are perceived and
understood by the world. We’ll hear about research findings and interviews
with community members and staff related to Wikipedia users and the
* Welcomes, theme introduction
* Movement update
* Why people read Wikipedia, and why they don’t
* Questions and discussion
for further information about the meeting and how to participate.
We’ll post the video recording publicly after the meeting.
Project Assistant // Communications // Advancement
*July 27, 2017 metrics meeting -- Movement update Appendix *
* WikiCite is a proposal to build a bibliographic database in Wikidata to
serve all Wikimedia projects.
* 94 participants from 62 different organizations, including universities,
archives, open knowledge orgs, and several Wikimedia organizations.
* A program geared towards turning past experiences and future visions into
concrete actions: understanding what tools are needed to centralize
citations on Wikidata; potential collaborations with other research fields,
like Medicine; and other topics.
* More information: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiCite
Wiki Loves Earth 2017
* An international photographic competition to collect photos of natural
heritage sites all over the world.
* 37 countries uploaded over 108,000 pictures. Germany, Ukraine and
Pakistan among the top ten countries contributing to the contest.
* National competitions are running until June 30. International winners
announced by the end of September.
* More information:
Conferences in June and July
* Iberoconf 2017 was held in June in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It brought
together affiliates from Latin America, Spain and Italy, to build a shared
understanding of the value of the network and how to become stronger
together. More information:
* The group also submitted a statement letter with a plea to democratize
the movement from a communications perspective, both allowing more
inclusion of languages other than English in key communications and
exchanges, and also promoting stories about collective impact.
* WikiWomen Camp 2017 was held in Mexico City in July, and it brought
together women from different countries in the Wikimedia movement, to focus
on the gender gap. More information: