I am happy to give you the TL;DR version:
As best I can make out, the WMF's average salary cost per employee is now
More could be said, of course:
– The WMF had already exceeded its revenue goals for the 2021/2022 fiscal
year by the end of March, bringing in over $150 million in the first three
quarters (total expenses last year were $107 million).
– Including the endowment, I estimate the WMF now has about $400 million in
assets (almost all in cash and investments).
– In India, past donors are reporting being inundated with daily WMF emails
telling them money is needed to keep Wikipedia online, independent, ad-free
– Internet hosting costs are $2.4 million per year, and Erik Möller thought
in 2013 the Wikimedia mission was sustainable on $10M+/year.
– Very little of Wikimedia's money actually goes to India (0.64 million in
2020 for all of South Asia, per Form 990).
On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 3:46 PM Dan Garry (Deskana) <djgwiki(a)gmail.com>
On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 at 23:25, Andreas Kolbe
If you've spotted an error in my reasoning or
think you can provide a
better estimate, please do so and share your working. Many eyes make all
My feedback is that you've put so many walls of text and numbers on this
mailing list, that whatever point you're attempting to make is buried
Wikimedia-l mailing list -- wikimedia-l(a)lists.wikimedia.org, guidelines
Public archives at
To unsubscribe send an email to wikimedia-l-leave(a)lists.wikimedia.org