Below a list of suggestions drawn from the WLM Future workshop and the WLM Panel at
There are plenty of ways to transform Wiki Loves Monuments in a way that makes the contest
interesting even if photos already abound. - Just be inventive, try out new things and
report back what worked and what didn't!
***Ideas to enhance WLM and similar contests***
- better integration with Wikipedia, edit-a-thons, writing competitions, involvement of
- outreach to and retention of new contributors
- use of 3-dimensional and other photo techniques
- focus on pictures of details of the monuments
- better descriptions of the pictures, integration with Wikivoyage
- monuments infoboxes
- workshops on photographic techniques
- publish best photos in a magazine, etc. / photo exhibitions
- develop more and better partnerships around the contest
- scavenger hunts; Wikipedia Takes Events
- photography contest in museums and cultural institutions; develop partnerships with
- gather useful information for Wikivoyage: how to get to the monument, a short
description (history, etc.), the best time to visit, opening hours if applicable (this is
information that is urgently needed on Wikivoyage; contact: User:DerFussi).
[mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Cristian Consonni
Sent: Dienstag, 20. August 2013 20:02
To: Wiki Loves Monuments Photograph Competition
Subject: Re: [Wiki Loves Monuments] Andorra is also in
2013/8/20 Àlex Hinojo <alexhinojo(a)gmail.com>om>:
On 2012 participation decreased a lot (challenge
feeling was low as
every single pic was taken) and that's the reason why we've being
doubting on organizing it or not.
But finally we decided to join this great party!
just a quick suggestion.
At Wikimania in Hong Kong there was a panel about the "future of WLM", since
for quite a number of countries this will be the third year of participation many of the
may face a similar problem of "saturation".
Since you have already hit the "quantity milestone" (which is really great, btw)
you may start thinking about some other activities to increase participation again.
Devising something is not a simple task, but here's one suggestion:
Maarten pointed out some time ago that many WLM images are still not used on Wikipedia.
Since one of the goal of the contest is enriching Wikipedia (and I think this is also a
very satisfactory thing for a
participant) you may want to organize some activities to improve the usage of WLM images
from Andorra in Wikipedia articles.
You may find useful the page:
which contains some statistics about the usage of the images.
Of course, if everybody has some idea on this topic please share it with the rest of the
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list