I recently set up a MediaWiki (http://server.bluewatersys.com/w90n740/)
and I need to extra the content from it and convert it into LaTeX
syntax for printed documentation. I have googled for a suitable OSS
solution but nothing was apparent.
I would prefer a script written in Python, but any recommendations
would be very welcome.
Do you know of anything suitable?
I have just joined, I am from mumbai, india. I would like to get the
articles translated in marathi, my mother tongue. Looking at the effort
and no of volunteers, this will not be usable in any reasonable amount
That has made me think of alternatives - machine translation. A state
funded institute has a software available but I don't have access to it
Pl. comment about this approach. Has this been tried for any other
Thanks & regards,
Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner online
Go to: http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony
in the past few days the following problem occurred in a local mediawiki
installation: When opening an article for edit, everything seems in order.
Showing the preview also works and the change applied to the article is shown.
But when trying to submit, one gets the other-user-edits-conflict-warning and
in the preview field there is the old unchanged version. This happens with
every article (as far as tested) independently whether that respective article
being edited by someone else or not.
Writing a new article works, trying to edit it just afterwards leads to the
Already did a rebuildall which took all night (2500 articles), but the problem
remains the same. Is that something known and what am I missing here?
While we were discussing setting YurikBot bot flag on irc for YurikBot
accounts all over wikipedia , someone created a YurikBot account on
jawikipedia (according to Yurik, I can not read japanese)
It could OF COURSE just be a unexpected creation, but I fear it was
rather done on purpose.
I'd like that a check is run on who did this, and that this person is
politely ask to hand out the password to Yurik. Can someone help ?
PS : I tried to use the check user, but it seems not to be working.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
MediaWiki 1.5 beta 4 is a preview release of the new 1.5 release series.
== Changes since 1.5beta3 ==
* Fix talk page move handling
* (bug 2721) New language file for Vietnamese with the Vietnamese
~ number notation
* (bug 2749) would appear as a literal in image galleries
~ for Cs, Fr, Fur, Pl and Sv
* (bug 787) external links being rendered when they only have one slash
* Fixed a missing typecast in Language::dateFormat() that would cause
~ some interesting errors with signitures.
* (bug 2764) Number format for Nds
* (bug 1553) Stop forcing lowercase in Monobook skin for German
* (bug 1064) Implements Special:Unusedcategories
* (bug 2311) New language file for Macedonian
* Fix nohistory message on empty page history
* Fix fatal error in history when validation on
* Cleaned up email notification message formatting
* Finally fixed Special:Disambiguations that was broke since SCHEMA_WORK
* (bug 2761) fix capitalization of "i" in Turkish
* (bug 2789) memcached image metadata now cleared after deletion
* Add serialized version number to image metadata cache records
* (bug 2780) Fix thumbnail generation with GD for new image schema
* (bug 2791) Slovene numeric format
* (bug 655) Provide empty search form when searching for nothing
* Nynorsk numeric format fix
* (bug 2825) Fix regression in newtalk notifications for anons w/
~ enotif off
* (bug 2833) Fix bug in previous fix
* With $wgCapitalLinks off, accept off-by-first-letter-case in 'go'
* Optional parameters for [[Special:Listusers]]
* (bug 2832) [[Special:Listadmins]] redirects to
* (bug 785) Parser did not get out of <pre> with list elements
* Some shared upload fixes
* (bug 2768) section=new on nonexistent talk page does not add heading
* support preload= parameter for section=new
* show comment subject in preview when using section=new
* use comment form when creating a new talk page
* (bug 460) Properly handle <center> tags as a block.
* Undo inconsistent editing behavior change
* (bug 2835) Back out fix for bug 2802, caused regressions in category
* PHP 4.1.2 compatibility fix: define floatval() equivalent if missing
* (bug 2901) Number format for Catalan
* Special:Allpages performance hacks: index memcached caching, removed
~ inverse checkbox, use friendlier relative offsets in index build
* Bring back "Chick" skin for mobile devices. It needs testing.
* Fix spelling of $wgForwardSearchUrl in DefaultSettings.php
* Specify USE INDEX on Allpages chunk queries, sometimes gets lost
~ due to bogus optimization
* (bug 275) Section duplication fix
* Remove unused use of undefined variable in UserMailer
* Fix notice on search index update due to non-array
* (bug 2885) Fix fatal errors and notices in PHP 5.1.0beta3
* (bug 2931) Fix additional notices on reference use in PHP 4.4.0
* (bug 2774) Add three new $wgHooks to LogPage which enable extensions
~ to add their own logtypes, see
~ extensions/Renameuser/SpecialRenameuser.php for an example of this.
* (bug 740) Messages from extensions now appear in Special:Allmessages
* (bug 2857) fixed parsing of lists in <pre> sections
* (bug 796) Trackback support
* Fix 1.5 regression: weird, backwards diff links on new pages in
~ enhanced RC are now suppressed as before.
* New skin: Simple
* "uselang" and "useskin" URL parameters can now be used in the URL when
~ viewing a page, to change the language and skin of a page
* Skins can now be previewed in preferences
* (bug 2943) AuthPlugin::getCanonicalName() name canonicalization hook,
~ patch from robla
* Wrap revision insert & page update in a transaction, rollback on late
~ edit conflict.
* (bug 2953) 'other' didn't work in Special:Blockip when localized
* (bug 2958) Rollback and delete auto-summary should be in the project's
~ content language
* Removed useless protectreason message
* Spelling fix: $wgUrlProtcols -> $wgUrlProtocols
* Switch Moldovan local name to cyrillic
* Fix typo in undefined array index access prevention
* (bug 2947) Update namespaces for sr localization
* (bug 2952) Added Asturian language file with translated namespaces
* (bug 2676) Apply a protective transformation on editing input/output
~ for browsers that hit the Unicode blacklist. Patch by plugwash.
* (bug 2999) Fix encoding conversion of pl_title in upgrade1_5.php
* compressOld.php disabled, as it's known to be broken.
MD5 checksum: 3cc4509799b6fbc8bf877db74468fbae
Before asking for help, try the FAQ:
Low-traffic release announcements mailing list:
Wiki admin help mailing list:
Bug report system:
Play "stump the developers" live on IRC:
#mediawiki on irc.freenode.net
- -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
1. "Feature Request" feature: I have had a very difficult time finding
a "Feature Request" feature on Wikipedia. It should be easy to find. The
"Feature Request" part of the "Bug Report" page doesn't seem to exist.
2. "Page Change Alert" feature: I would like to receive an email alert
when any pages I have marked for tracking are editing.
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.9.5/58 - Release Date: 7/25/2005
First of all: sorry for crossposting to all lists, but I need to reach
as many people as possible.
There are two things I would like to talk about and maybe this mail is
going to be quite long.
At this stage I took over part of the translation's organisation (or all
of it? we'll see ...)
There are some problems involved when it comes to translations for
wikimania - on one hand we will have people that know how to edit and
that go simply there and edit an article on the other hand we will work
with translators who don't know how to do this and therefore they
receive the article and send it back to me - then their work needs to be
copied and pasted into the wiki.
Therefore I created a page where to collect the names of people who work
for wikimania and a yahoogroup to assure that every article is only
The translator's list can be find here:
It is organised by language combinations. I also added myself, but
really I suppose I won't have much time to translate since I will need
the time for organisational tasks.
The translator's list is on yahoo: wikimaniatrans(a)yahoogroups.com
I am inserting all translators there since all articles that need
translation are posted there. The first translator who answers to the
list with "I am doing this translation EN-IT" (just to make an example)
will translate that language combination of that particular article - so
all other translators know that this work is being done.
So if you are interested in co-operating for translations, please add
yourself to the list and subscribe to the yahoo-group. If you won't do
this yourself: just send me a mail indicating
Website (if any)
As to the reporters: to be faster in our work it would be great if you
sent me a note with the link as soon as your article is online and ready
for translation. I know that this is not the normal "wiki-way" but we
have to deal with people that are not used to wikis and we don't have
the time to teach them how to work there.
Please drop me a note so that I know you before (it would be great).
As to admins: please post the message that we are on search for
translators in your Beer Parlours and ask people who are interested to
contact me by e-mail (either sabine_cretella(a)yahoo.it or
s.cretella(a)wordsandmore.it) - I understand German, Italian, English,
French, Spanish and write German, Italian, English - I approximatively
understand some more languages, but it is not the case to guess what is
written in this situation, so please bear with me and accept these
For now that's all - the more we are the better we will be and the less
work anyone will do - if there's someone who would like to help with the
copy/paste upload: please let me know.
Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB
Hi, I have a question regarding the
Default Style Sheet behavior: The internal wiki links in MediaWiki are
either blue (click to view an existing article) or red (click to edit
a new article). This coloring applies to the tabs at the top as well.
We have a number of stub articles in our wiki that are showing their
discussion tabs as red, even though the discussion does in fact exist.
It is only happening on the articles tab (discussion is red in color
when it is not new) but it doesn't happen for any other tabs.
Here's an example: http://www.taxalmanac.org/index.php/IRS_Enrolled_Agent_Exam