When I connect to
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/w/DifferenceEngine.php on line 377
(The exact line varies.)
OK, I don't really need to see this diff,
but I thought that the developers should at least know
that diffing two 200-line tables apparently crashes.
(Smaller diffs on this page work just fine.)
After looking at tools like Apache's Latka and Canoo webtest,
I concluded that they were a bit to high-level and underpowered
for what I had in mind for the wiki software test suite. So I
started a basic test suite in Java using the Httpunit classes,
which seem to work quite well and give me all I need.
I checked in a first pass to CVS in the "testsuite" directory--
right now the suite just loads the main page, follows a couple
of links, fetches an edit form, and extracts the source of a
page to a file. Eventually of course this will be a full suite
that loads up an empty database with web actions, does lots of
modifications, exercises all the functions, and validates all
Let me now ask for guidance about what the next pressing step
is: I believe we are already in a performance crunch, and we
already have some ideas about how to fix some of those problems,
so I think I should make that the short-term driver for further
development of the suite. For example, I have the wikipedia
code installed on a machine on my network at home, and I can
use the suite to time it, make a database change or something,
then time that to get us good numbers about what to tweak.
What would be a good mix of functions for timing? I'm thinking
heavy on regular page loads, heavy on recent changes, lighter
on things like edits. Any other ideas?
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee(a)piclab.com> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,
are placed irrevocably in the public domain, and may be used or modified
for any purpose, without permission, attribution, or notification."--LDC
So I am currently installing the third wikipedia. The first two installs
(inhouse) worked flawlessly.
I wanted to setup a third wiki on an external server:
I am guessing my problems relate to the PHP Version, since the INSTALL
Document mentions 4.2
The problem seems to be with saving to the DB. It is actually able to
access the DB. I verified this, by deliberately mistyping the username
and getting and error, and by changing the start-text in the "cur"
Are there any quick suggestions, or do I need to bother my provider to
try to get this shared server updated.
If the latter is the only options, maybe someone could point me to
potential security problems with any of the above older software
I've added a site-wide configuration option for whether an
English-language wiki should display dates in American (Mar 3, 2003) or
International format (3 Mar 2003).
Set "$wgAmericanDates = true;" in LocalSettings to use the American
format. English Wikipedia has been set to use American dates for now to
maintain the status quo, as I have no interest in arguments about the
desirability of one or other other style. However the new option may be
of interest for third-party sites.
The date & time code needs some general overhauling... timezone data can
can't talk to it directly, and of course not always available), and we
need to support half-hour timezones (parts of Australia, India,
Display of dates in YYYY-MM-DD format should also be an available
option, and we will certainly want user-selectability on these things,
as well as sensible ways of setting defaults and sniffing locale info
from browsers where possible and appropriate.
The generation of date/timestamps in ~~~~ sigs is also currently a mess;
it uses a locale-based function and doesn't integrate with our language
-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)