The Search Platform Team
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Search_Platform> usually holds
office hours the first Wednesday of each month. Come talk to us about
anything related to Wikimedia search, Wikidata Query Service, Wikimedia
Commons Query Service, etc.!
Feel free to add your items to the Etherpad Agenda for the next meeting.
Details for our next meeting:
Date: Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020
Time: 15:00-16:00 GMT / 08:00-09:00 PDT / 11:00-12:00 EDT / 17:00-18:00 CEST
Google Meet link: https://meet.google.com/vyc-jvgq-dww
Join by phone in the US: +1 786-701-6904 PIN: 262 122 849#
Hope to talk to you in a week!
Sr. Computational Linguist, Search Platform
UTC-4 / EDT
Today we have enabled OAuth app access restrictions on the Wikimedia
GitHub organization. As a result, any attempt to add an OAuth app
requires the approval of the WIkimedia organization's owners. This
restriction was enabled to prevent accidentally granting OAuth
permissions to the organization's resources when that was not the
As a side effect, if your ssh key has been uploaded before February
2014, the next attempt to push over ssh to a wikimedia project (for
example: git(a)github.com/wikimedia/*) will result in a prompt asking
you to manually validate the key. Just click the link, verify the
fingerprint and approve it if it is the correct one.
I tagged a new release of Scap (3.15.0) yesterday, which will
hopefully be installed on the various servers next week. One of the
changes is that "scap sync" now gives and error, and directs the user
to use "scap sync-world" or "scap sync-file", depending on what they
meant to do.
This change was made because Release Engineering had noticed that
people accidentally run "scap sync" when they meant "scap sync-file".
We decided to have a "flag day" for this because merely warning
about using "scap sync" is very easy to miss, especially if in an
automated system somewhere. We also assume this is not actually used a
lot, and mostly interactively, in which case the error message is
hopefully clear enough to guide the user in the right direction.
We've fixed and are fixing places in scripts and CI jobs that we know
of where "scap sync" is used. If you find more, please report them to
Sorry about any inconvenience.
WMF release engineering team | he/him or they/them
"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge."
Mailman, the software that powers our mailing lists, is extremely old, by
looking at https://lists.wikimedia.org/ you can guess how old it is.
I would really like to upgrade it to mailman 3 which has these benefits:
* Much better security (including but not limited to
* Much better UI and UX
* Much easier moderation and maintaining mailing lists
* Ability to send mail from the web
* Ability to search in archives.
* Ability to like/dislike an email
* List admins will be able to delete emails, merge threads, and much more.
* Admins won't need to store passwords for each mailing list separately,
they just login as their account everywhere.
* The current mailman stores everything as files (even mailing list
settings), mailman3 actually uses a proper database for everything meaning
proper backup and recovery, high availability and much more.
I have already put up a test setup and humbly ask you (specially list
admins) to test it (and its admin interface), if you want to become a list
admin, drop me a message. Keep in mind that we don't maintain the software
so the most I can do is to change configuration and can't handle a feature
request or solve a bug (you are more than welcome to file it against
Here's the test setup:
Here's a mailing list:
Here's an archive post:
Issues that I haven't figured out yet:
* This system has profile picture support but it's only gravatar which we
empty squares and looks bad. Reported upstream  but also we can have a
gravatar proxy in production. And in the worst case scenario we can just
inject "$('.gravatar').remove();" and remove them. Feel free to chime in in
the phabricator ticket in this regard:
* Upgrade will break archive links, making it work forever is not trivial
(you need write apache rewrite rule) (You can read about it in
* Mailman allows us to upgrade mailing list by mailing list, that's good
but we haven't found a way to keep the old version and the new ones in sync
(archives, etc.). Maybe we migrate a mailing list and the archives for the
old version will stop getting updated. Would that work for you? Feel free
to chime in: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T256539
* We don't know what would be the size of the database after upgrade
because these two versions are so inherently different, one idea was to
check the size of a fully public mailing list, then move the files to the
test setup, upgrade it to the new version and check how it changes, then
extrapolate the size of the final database. The discussion around the
database is happening in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T256538
If you want to help in the upgrade (like puppetzining its configuration,
etc.) just let me know and I add you to the project! It uses a stand-alone
puppetmaster so you don't need to get your puppet patches merged to see its
The main ticket about the upgrade: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T52864
Hope that'll be useful for you :)
I'm Rahul Pawar a B.tech second-year student at Visvesvarya National
Institute of Technology, Nagpur, India. I am a newbie but have tried
frontend mentor challenge, 2-star coder in Codechef, Gold medal in C, Cpp,
Python in hackerRank. I'm interested in working with this organization and
even participate in GSOC 2021. SO any mentor out there to guide me.
Thanks in advance.
This email contains updates for last week - August 19, 2020, with apologies
for the lateness.
For the HTML versions, see:
*= 2020-08-19 =*
== Product ==
=== Web ===
** '''Summary''': Vue.js-focused week.
** [[Reading/Web/Desktop Improvements|Desktop Improvements Project (Vector
*** [[phab:T258493|[Spike 8hrs] "Use Legacy Vector" is not working as a
*** [[phab:T258465|[Bug] Sidebar Expand/Collapse button impacted by Narrow
*** [[phab:T255727|Make collapsible sidebar persistent for logged-in users]]
*** [[phab:T249363|Move the existing search to the header in preparation
for Vue.js search development]]
*** [[phab:T251817|[Dev] Allow extensions to update the footer without
resorting to SkinTemplateOutputPageBeforeExec hook]]
*** [[phab:T244392|Vue.js search case study]]:
**** See [[Reading/Web/Desktop Improvements/Vue.js case study/Status
log|weekly status updates]].
** Mobile website (MinervaNeue / MobileFrontend):
*** [[phab:T260155|PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined
method TitleValue::isSubpage() in
on line 55]]
*** [[phab:T231160|HtmlFormatter incorrectly removes partial classname
matches in "xenomobile" or "not-an-navbox"]]
*** [[phab:T214647|[EPIC] Re-define the contract for displaying drawers and
overlays in MobileFrontend]]
*** [[phab:T212465|[EPIC] None of our View's should exhibit 2 levels of
*** [[phab:T258096|Regression: Nested references do not open if user clicks
on [ or ] (which are wrapped in span)]]
*** [[phab:T240622|[Technical debt payoff] Remove InlineDiffFormatter and
InlineDifferenceEngine from MobileFrontend]]
*** [[phab:T256520|Consider 'normalize' stylesheet RL module]]
*** [[phab:T259906|Add 'volumeUp' icon in OOUI]]
*** [[phab:T224985|Rename Special:ElectronPdf to Special:Download as Pdf or
Special:Export as Pdf]]
== Technology ==
=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Updates ''(long list of updates, we were lagging behind in reporting
** Integrate Wikimedia Event Utilities with discovery-parent-pom -
** Search does not return exact title match -
** Querying WCQS should allow me to use prefixes for MediaInfo items -
** Gather statistics on head and tail query distribution on Commons -
** Slow indexing of Lexemes for wbsearchentities -
** Create spreadsheet of last 90 days of Commons search queries -
** Validate and fix TTL dumps of SDoC -
** Create a Examples Page for WCQS -
** v: prefix not correctly prefixed in Wikibase when using entitysource
config and extra prefixes -https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T258507
** CirrusSearch throws an error on several wikis when searching for
** Access restriction for SPARQL Endpoint for Commons -
** UI for SPARQL Endpoint for Commons -
deb tankersley (she/her)
sr program manager, engineering
I'm pleased to announce the immediate availability of MediaWiki
1.35.0-rc.2, the third release candidate for 1.35.x, the next LTS version
to replace 1.31 which is due to go end of life in June 2021. Download links
at the end of the e-mail. The tag has been signed and pushed to Git.
Please note that the PHP version requirement has been raised from 7.2.9 in
MediaWiki 1.34 (and 7.0 in MediaWiki 1.31), to 7.2.22 (this may change
further, see below).
This is not a final release and should not be used for production websites.
Known issues are tracked in Phabricator on the release workboard . As
always please do try out the release candidate in a test environment and
report any issues that you discover. Please use the #MW-1.35-Release 
tag in Phabricator when reporting issues specific to this release.
It is expected that MediaWiki 1.35 will become final in late August 2020,
and will be supported for 3 years after that.
Known/outstanding issues/things to test:
* It has been proposed to require PHP 7.3 for MediaWiki 1.35, please
discuss at <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T257879>.
* Both the Vector skin and the underlying skin infrastructure are
undergoing numerous changes, so there might be things broken that are
already fixed in master and as such need backporting.
* VisualEditor and Parsoid are now bundled in the tarball and no longer
need a separate nodejs service. The documentation for this still needs to
be updated, and in some cases, users are reporting HTTP 500 errors from
* Watchlist expiry (behind the $wgWatchlistExpiry flag) is currently
experimental. It should be finished for the 1.35.0 final release.
* If you're on Windows and use 7zip and had issues in the previous release
candidates (and the last round of security releases) extracting the
tarball, this should be fixed for this release.
* While the rc.2 tarballs are smaller than the rc.1 tarballs, the patch for
rc.2 is much larger than usual, due to the removal of Gruntfile.js and
package-lock.json files from the tarball.
Changes since 1.35.0-rc.1:
* (T259693) uuid: Fix filenames on Windows.
* Remove Gruntfile.js and package-lock.json from the tarball.
* firejail: Strengthen by copying from Wikimedia's profile.
* (T260059) ResourceLoaderOOUIImageModule: loadOOUIDefinition() may return
* (T30162, T245387) The installer supports using a Postgres server running
on a custom port other than 5432.
* (T260201) Support private wikis in Parsoid zero configuration mode.
* Fix bad use of `|=` PHP bit operation where `= … ||` bool is intended.
* (T259212) SpecialBlock: Show error if a block could not be inserted or
* (T255842) UserOptionsManager: fix options reset.
* (T258649) WatchAction: avoid unnecessary UPDATEs when expiry is unchanged.
* (T250851) Allow skins to override mediawiki.page.ready initialisation.
* (T250851) mediawiki.page.ready: Allow skins to disable search lazy load.
* (T253135, T255632) Update language in watchlist expiry.
* Use IPset in MWRestrictions::checkIP.
* (T259564) Fix race condition on edit page.
* (T260759) Hide watchlist expiry label in edit form.
* mime: Fix docs of MIME_EXTENSIONS, they're arrays, not space-seperated.
* (T260031) Add application/font-sfnt to MimeMap for ttf files.
* (T259379) WatchedItemStore: Cache single WatchedItems with preexisting
* Add a maintenance script to create bot passwords.
* (T201269) Add Traditional Chinese zh-hant as fallback for Amis (ami).
* Improve wfParseUrl docs.
* (T251038) Add multi index fields in ImageListPager for unique paginate.
* (T259916) Guard against 'Widget not found' error.
Preliminary release notes:
Bug report form:
Download without bundled extensions:
Patch to previous version (1.35.0-rc.0):
this is to let you know that the "aphlict" service has been disabled on
Phabricator (for now) because it caused stability issues.
This means you will not get realtime (pop-up) notifications on Phabricator.
(If you had those enabled in the first place).
Regular notifications (that do not pop-up) and emails are not affected by
Daniel Zahn <dzahn(a)wikimedia.org>