MediaWiki participates in a number of student competitions and programs as
an open source mentor (such as GSoC, Code-In, etc.). Today I ran into
another one: Facebook's Open Academy Program.
I'm not sure how we would get involved in this program, but I'm sure people
would agree it might be a good thing to become a mentor organization and
have students contribute to MediaWiki as part of a college credit program.
Stevens Institute of Technology, Class of 2016
Major in Computer Science
Spread the news!
Wikis devroom - FOSDEM, Brussels, 1 & 2 February 2014
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
We accept proposals for wiki related submissions. The formats accepted
are 25min sessions or 5min lighting sessions. All proposals must be
submitted via https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/
Deadline: 30 November 2013
Questions? Feedback? Willing to help?
Wikis are essential tools for online collaboration, open knowledge and
free software. They are everywhere: from the mainstream Wikipedia to a
myriad of public, academic and corporate knowledge bases and personal
sites. And most of them are open source software.
Wikis became popular thanks to the edit button allowing users to create
and modify text-based web pages easily. Over the years wikis have become
more powerful, handling more content types, allowing better look & feel,
championing localization and integrating (sometimes) with other tools.
The development continues, with hundreds of professional and volunteer
contributors specializing in this area.
There are also challenges: the competition from (mainly proprietary and
corporate) social media and online office tools, keeping up with UX
expectations from users, editors and sysadmins, compatibility across
different wiki engines and other publishing tools, collaboration between
Wikis devroom is a place to showcase and discuss
* new features, especially exploring areas beyond plain text editing
* compatibility and integration with other tools and services
* lessons learned from deployments, surveys, research...
* cross-project collaboration
We want to focus on sessions for a technical audience including savvy
editors. Basic introductions for end users and long tutorials are out of
One day, one room. Most of the schedule will be filled with sessions of
about 25 minutes that have gone through a call for participation.
We will have a WikiWiki Hour of lightning presentations (5 minutes each).
We will organize a panel session with representation of key wiki
projects - the specific topic to be decided as we confirm the participants.
Quim Gil (MediaWiki), Vincent Massol (XWiki) and Jean-Marc Libs (Tiki).
Since MediaWiki 1.23/wmf3 has been deployed to all Wikimedia sites, the old
script in zhwiki didn't work any more.
The zhwiki's collapsible behavior makes the whole header bar clickable and
shows a helpful text indicating the collapse state. Thus, the Navbox and
many templates can be easily expand by click the hotspot(header bar)
instead of finding the "show/hide" link to click. What do you think of
making this behavior as default?
And now, because we want to make use of upstream jQuery.makecollapsible but
not break the local collapsible behavior, I think the best way to fix this
is adding some configs for jQuery.makecollapsible.
Last, I'd like to see Extension:Scribunto's global module.. Therefore we
can unify some common templates globally for unified user experience.
Erick Guan/管啸 (fantasticfears)
We are looking for a python developer to create bots for uploading economic
statistics into Wikidata. Economic data is usually from non-controversial
sources such as the World Bank, IMF and other government sources.
Statistics include GDP, GDP by industry, employment by industry, government
budgets, inflation, etc.
The python developer who builds the bots will be paid as part of this newly
proposed IEG: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/Global_Economic_Map
If you have the python skill and want to be apart of this project, you can
just send me a message here.
Thanks in advance for your help,
This manual https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Patrol say that I can
retrieve patrol token from recent changes. But if I am not using
recent changes to retrieve a list of edits and I want to mark certain
edit as patrolled, how would I retrieve a patrol token for such a
i know it's depend the mediawiki language,but can i change it by my own?i
use chinese mediawiki,but i wana the mediawiki signature time format use
sorry again,if this question should not ask in this maillist,plz let me
know i should send which maillist...i very know to the maillist,and my
english is pretty bad too.
It's very excited to upgrade for the new version,so I can final have a try for the visual editor...
Is here not suppose ask this kind question ,I sorry if that's so.I just really like mediawikii and WANA thx for you hard work
i had make this small tool long time ago,and i use it every day,for me it's
very useful,but i nver know how to share it to more people or may more
people will like it,
in china,there are very few people to use mediawiki to build a site.
and i put it at:https://github.com/SLboat/SLboat-omnibox-to-see
anyway, use this can driect seach the mediawiki content
by start type the "@" will start all it's work
I would like to announce the release of MediaWiki Language Extension
Bundle 2013.11. This bundle is compatible with MediaWiki 1.20.7 and
MediaWiki 1.21.2 releases.
* Download: https://translatewiki.net/mleb/MediaWikiLanguageExtensionBundle-2013.11.tar…
* sha256sum: 926bdcb6aa9cc405dc54275a60fd1d13836ee0f36a1e9c1329f4f7eed94354ce
* Installation instructions are at: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB
* Announcements of new releases will be posted to a mailing list:
* Report bugs to: https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org
* Talk with us at: #mediawiki-i18n @ freenode
Release notes for each extension are below.
-- Kartik Mistry
== Babel, CLDR and LocalisationUpdates ==
* Only localisation updates.
== CleanChanges ==
* Localisation updates.
* SECURITY: Don't show deleted usernames.
== Translate ==
=== Noteworthy changes ===
* Cleanup, refactoring and performance improvements.
* Bug 56409: Fix fatal error in non-Vector skins by removing navigation tabs.
* Bug 57287: "Sandbox messages" should not appear in the TUX group selector.
* Bug 57391: Remove default NS_MEDIAWIKI from $wgTranslateMessageNamespaces.
* Fix button styles in Special:Translate.
* Accept any number as explicit plural form.
== UniversalLanguageSelector ==
=== Noteworthy changes ===
* Lots of cleanup, refactoring and performance improvements:
* The ResourceLoader modules for ULS were redone. They are now
lazy-loaded to improve the initial page loading time. To use features
provided by ULS, such as styles, ULS data utils functions, and others,
you must load the features separately in your extensions. See
for more details.
* The Autonym font is only applied only to class interlanguage-link
rather than to the whole interlanguage links area.
* The Autonym font is included in the webfonts repository.
* Bug 53772: Visual indication while saving the settings.
* Bug 56885: Fix and enable feature Persistent settings.
* Bug 56888: Use data-i18n for system font l10n. This ensures that the
translation is updated properly in the language live preview.
* Fixed Ukranian (uk) and Russian (ru) languages grammar rules.
=== Fonts ===
* New fonts: Hanuman, Nokora and Suwannaphum fonts for Khmer.
* New font: Batak.
* Updated MiriamCLM font from upstream.
* Updated OpenDyslexic fonts from upstream.
* Added BoldItalic OpenDyslexic fonts.
* Bug 57136: Add Polish also to OpenDyslexic font supported languages.
=== Input methods ===
* Bug 54646: Fixed input from numerical keypad.
* Bug 55698: Change name for German de-transliteration input method.
Remove the obsolete Burmese my-kbd input method.
Kartik Mistry/કાર્તિક મિસ્ત્રી | IRC: kart_