-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
I propose to set the preference "Justify paragraphs" to on by default (for
anonymous and new users - of course current users won't be affected, as usual),
because it looks more professional on my opinion.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v184.108.40.206 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
We've now dedicated a server to search index updates. I've got them running
in two threads, one for enwiki and one for everything else. Each one is a
loop, we should get a complete index update once every 30 hours or so.
-- Tim Starling
A few days ago, someone pointed me at
which is a dynamically-updating count of the number of records
in the Online Computer Library Center's "Worldcat" library card
catalog. Also -- this is the cute part -- there's a listing of
what the most-recently-added catalog entry at any given instant
actually is. Naturally it occurred to me that it would be fun
to have the same sort of thing for Wikipedia.
So I dummied something up at
This is a demonstration only. The implementation is somewhat of
a kludge, since it's implemented "outside" of mediawiki, without
any direct access to the database. And I'm not proposing that
anything like this get officially added to mediawiki, either;
it's just food for thought.
I'm going to leave the demonstration running today (November 8)
*only*, so if you try the "wikitracker" link after this date,
it'll be stale.
It seems like the structure becomes very flat with MediaWiki.
All pages are under URL/PAGENAME..
Is there a way to create /URL/DIRECTORY/SUBDIRECTORY/PAGE?
Or do multiple Mediawikis need to be created?
Pretty soon, likely within the next week, I'll be moving all
accesskeys and tooltips out of Monobook.js and implement them
server-side. This may affect personal scripts that implement custom
accesskeys; they'll have to be revised a bit to find the elements
themselves rather than relying on their presence in the "ta" array,
but it shouldn't be difficult. Sites that have modified Monobook.js
should not have their global changes affected by this directly,
although they may have to rework them when the id's are changed.
The tooltip for any given element that has a tooltip will be stored in
a message "tooltip-x", where x is the element's HTML id, and can be
modified as usual by sysops. The accesskey, likewise, will be stored
in a message "accesskey-x".
For developers: currently this is in a branch, branches/simetrical/.
Help converting over the language files would be greatly appreciated
(via commits or, for non-devs, patches), but I'll do it myself if
necessary. I'll make this concurrent with reworking the id's/classes,
just for simplicity.
I'm using MediaWiki as a CMS, so I don't allow public article editing,
but I do want to allow anonymous public comments.
Is it easy to have the discussion appear below the
main article instead of on a separate Discussion tab?
I'd like it to work somewhat in the style of PHP's online docs.
Is there a way to do explicit left / left outer joins using
db->select? Quotes appear to be added to the table name entries and
there doesn't seem to be any parameters for any join statements.
Hi, I've established an English wiki, imported from Wikipedia. It works fine. I then went to establish a Spanish wiki, again imported from Wikipedia. To do that I basically created a database, download the dump, imported it using mwdumper and all went well. I can view the Wiki pages, most everythign seems to be in place.
However, there is a problem, namespaces don't appear to be working right.
I have special detection code to determine if someone landed at the Spanish site based on the URL. If they did then vars are set accordingly. For example, $db_lang, $wgLanguageCode, $wgLocalInterwiki, and $wgDBprefix are each set to "es" along with others (images path, etc) to point to the right database and paths, etc.
What appears to be happening is that /languages/messages/MessagesEs.php is not being loaded, or not being used, because on the Spanish Wiki I see links to "Template:Whatever" instead of "Plantilla:Whatever" -- Plantilla being the Template namespace in Spanish.
Anyone know why this happens and/or how to correct it?
Surf the Web in a faster, safer and easier way:
Download Opera 9 at http://www.opera.com
Powered by Outblaze
David Gerard wrote:
> Forwarding here given en: users' fondness for js extensions.
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Simetrical <Simetrical+wikitech(a)gmail.com>
> Date: 31-Oct-2006 04:48
> Subject: [Wikitech-l] Changes to accesskeys and tooltips
> To: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l(a)wikimedia.org>
> Pretty soon, likely within the next week, I'll be moving all
> accesskeys and tooltips out of Monobook.js and implement them
Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
"We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP